Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford engine questions. Small block Ford
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i think over 300 horse with that set-up is generous.not to disrespect at all.But i ran a 289 bored .30 over,balanced,an autolite 4100 4bbl,a 260H cam,Pertronix ignitor ignition,a pair of 69 351W heads D00E that were mildly ported on the intake side and ALOT on the exhaust ports..ford exhaust ports suck on factory castings.And i was using a dual plane weiand aluminum intake manifold.I had the engine in my 1965 falcon convertible.I had it on a dyno and it peaked at 273 horsepower.Not too bad at all considering i didnt really know what i was doing thoroughly.I do know that at the time i was building it,I wanted to get to 300 horses maybe a bit.But it wasnt going to happen with the pieces i was using.In order to get 300 or more hp.I needed to lay out ALOT of money for aftermarket heads,roller cam/rockers a better intake manifold etc.I ran a 4spd for awhile and i was using a 9in rear axle from a Bronco with 3.73's She got out of the hole FAST!!.The car was no slouch for sure.And at least one 396 camaro got a nasty surprise.In my opinion you need better aftermarket items that go together a 'system' and do your homework on cams,heads etc it wont be cheap reaching 300 horsepower or more