Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford engine questions. Small block Ford
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

that horsepower was at the engine.Somebody posted here that an undepowered engine can be helped with an overdrive and 4.3 gearing.Thats true to a point.My falcon was quick,eventuallyi added 4.10 gears and more than one mustang/chevelle/nova that had more power and better motors got spanked by my 289. and 273 horsepower is nothing to sneeze at.I like the 289 its my favorite engine,But if you are looking to build up to or beyond 300hp I would take advantage of the later 5.0 roller cam motor.with fuel ijection.Those motors will spin well into 6,000rpm..whereas my little 289 was huffin n puffin at 4,500 too 5000 and thats always been a restriction on fords i think..they didnt wind up like a chevy 327/350 unless you did some work to the heads.if you want to stay 'old school' then yeah build a 289 still a good motor but i think it will be an uphill battle trying to get it to or above 300hp.it can be done without doubt but there are better motors to start with.I read an article a long time ago called '8 tenths of a second the hard way'..i think it fast fords and mustang mag..anyway the editor took his 1990 5.0 mustang and added early casting 289 heads to his 1990 motor he had done a backyard porting job on the heads and added the then new roller cam/rocker adapters to the heads..he chopped nearly a whole second from his 1/4 mile times.at the time aluminum heads were all the rage but very expensive...so he wanted to do an article for the low-buck guys