Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford engine questions. Small block Ford
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my point about factory ford heads was that overall they dont flow as well as say a chevy head..as for HiPo heads Shelby himself said in order to get more power from the HiPo heads they still needed alot of work in the valve areas,especially the exhaust side.and and at the time i used the 351W D003 heads,they were the best option for increased hp..nobody was making aftermarket heads for the 289/302.HiPo 289 heads were then as now non existant and if you did find some they were $$expensive$$ and out of reach for the average guy looking to increase horsepower.i know i was tired of seeing the chevy guys at the strip able to twist a 327/350 up to 5,000-6,000rpm no problem and those engine were not anything exotic..my old 289 was done making power around 4,000-5,000 the biggest problem was lack of good flow from factory cylinder heads..later GT40 heads,aluminum heads etc solved some of those problems..but 300 or more horses from darn near stock heads is difficult. I had done pretty well to squeeze 273hp from my 289 with the pieces i used..to get more needed better designed heads ..like what came on later 87-93 302's