Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford engine questions. Small block Ford
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thats awesome! you know what i liked best about running a 289 that was pretty quick and nasty,And could beat a 350 camaro or 340 duster?..when the owners of the cars i beat asked 'Hey,what engine are you running,And what cam etc?..i would tell a lil white lie and say 'its a 221 from a fairlane'...they would get a bit ashamed they just got beat by an engine that has less cubes than a slant 6 chrysler hahaha!!..i even added the valve cover and air cleaner stickers that read '221'..the 221,260,289 and 302 all look exactly the same at a glance.Like you i had to use steeper gears,expieriment with different sized tires and rims,all to make maximum use of the rpms that i had available and to make up for the power i didnt have.Plus at the time,my falcon was not anywhere finished i ran it around with gray primer,plain steel wheels (all different colors) there was no upholstery to speak of..and what was there,Was ratty and ripped.All the holes in the convertible top were covered with bumper stickers from a radio station.But underneath,I had mustang II suspension,everything in the steering,brakes,rear axles had been rebuilt or new.I spent all my money on the running gear and stopping power.