Ford engine questions. Small block Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford engine questions. Small block Ford

I currently have a newly rebuilt 289 bored .030 over, turned crank, speed pro skirted forged pistons, all internals balanced, with ported and polished e7te heads, rpm air gap intake, holley 600, hooker longtube headers, msd pro billet dist., 6-al2 box, blaster 2 coil.

first question how much power should I get out of that 325-350???

second I have $2500 I was wondering if it would be better to build a new 347 stroker with tfs heads for 2690.98, or supercharge it for around $3000. Or stop worrying just drive it and spend money elsewhere

Its kind of silly to want to start over and build a new motor since this one has just been built and not driven yet, so I see no point in redoing it.

Do you think it will run good in a 68 coupe mustang with 2500 stall c4 and 3.55 gears or am I just worrying

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Old & Furious

It will be fine. Run it. If it is so slow it makes you mad at it spray the hell out of it until it blows. Then build the 347 or better stroker motor. Late 302 blocks with roller cams are common so no need to tear this one apart. Run it and have fun. Turbo will always help alot and does not cost much to build up if sourced right. But i dont think it will be needed. Go have fun.

If going for race car or really fast street car it never hurts to have an intermetiate motor. To help get the suspension dailed and running dead straight at the track. Best tp fid out if its going to get wobbly with a 14 second run than a 10 second run. Both can be bad. Lots of good saftey equipment that cost some bucks as well. Roll cage and better rear end gears and wider rear wheels and tires.

Whats the compression ratio?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Old & Furious

Sorry to say 325-350 may be a little optamistic. Probably a sad amount less. But dont get hung up on numbers get the tire hooking up and the car running flat it will still be fast enough.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Really 325 on the motor not at the ground is optimistic wow that blows.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedup12 View Post
Really 325 on the motor not at the ground is optimistic wow that blows.
Cam and compression ratio make all the difference. So i cant really be sure since i dont know these things.

325 at the motor is not impossible by any means. I was talkng about at the wheels.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM

The deck was trimmed .010 and heads were milled and the pistons at flat top the builder told me I would have around 10:1 compression. I know it's a pbm cam around a .498 lift can't remember other things it sounds great and it winds up to 7000 rpm all day long. Just hasn't moved under a load yet
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Would it be worth time to get a custom grind cam since there not crazy expensive or just save money for another thing
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedup12 View Post
Would it be worth time to get a custom grind cam since there not crazy expensive or just save money for another thing
Well you may have a good cam right now until its in the car i would not mess with it.

10:1 cr is good and 7 k rpm sounds pretty good. Think it will do the trick. Cr is way to high for blower without changing the pistons. A little joice and your done. Run it and save your pennies for a big block.

I am a full on chevy guy so i know what i would stick in it. But my friends usally talk me out of the fords i come across before i get a chance to put a chevy motor in them. But i would be happy with what you got. Light car high rev engine and good compression. Should be very nice. You must have thought about it to much while it was in the garage must be time to put it in the car.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Lol that's what I was thinking!!! My mechanic says it'll have plenty of power for this light mustang and not to get worried about numbers it's only 2450 pounds with the gutting they did
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM

I mean 2540 pounds my bad
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM

2720 with me in it of course
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:

i think over 300 horse with that set-up is generous.not to disrespect at all.But i ran a 289 bored .30 over,balanced,an autolite 4100 4bbl,a 260H cam,Pertronix ignitor ignition,a pair of 69 351W heads D00E that were mildly ported on the intake side and ALOT on the exhaust ports..ford exhaust ports suck on factory castings.And i was using a dual plane weiand aluminum intake manifold.I had the engine in my 1965 falcon convertible.I had it on a dyno and it peaked at 273 horsepower.Not too bad at all considering i didnt really know what i was doing thoroughly.I do know that at the time i was building it,I wanted to get to 300 horses maybe a bit.But it wasnt going to happen with the pieces i was using.In order to get 300 or more hp.I needed to lay out ALOT of money for aftermarket heads,roller cam/rockers a better intake manifold etc.I ran a 4spd for awhile and i was using a 9in rear axle from a Bronco with 3.73's She got out of the hole FAST!!.The car was no slouch for sure.And at least one 396 camaro got a nasty surprise.In my opinion you need better aftermarket items that go together a 'system' and do your homework on cams,heads etc it wont be cheap reaching 300 horsepower or more
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:

i wanted to add,that i had 9.5 compression ratio on the cylinders.I had some cheapo brand X long tube headers with an H pipe all the exhaust was going thru 2'in and quarter exhust and cheapo glass packs.And the best part was when it was being dyno'd the tuning guy took a few minutes,timed the engine properly..i didnt,i had guessed at it..sounded good and smooth,So i must have been 'dead-on'..nope,He also changed out my 'champion' plugs for a set of autolites,tinkered with the gap and the pertronix..i picked up 11 horses right there in the dyno shop..all for the cost of 8 plugs
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM

because the 289 will rev quite well,why not leave it alone? invest in 4.3 gears and an over drive transmission.Its a lot of fun having a little under powered car that can destroy tire melting big blocks that drink gas and eat tires
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM

The headers are super comp longtubes exhaust is 2.5 mandrel bent all the way back into magnaflows and dumped. I need some better plugs I'm sure. I wanted to get new heads but it almost seems pointless honestly. And greazyball was that on motor or at tire ???

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.