Ford Expedition Brakes - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
already tried disabling the ABS but did not improve braking, only change was a rear tire locking up.
I think the ABS is the problem. I had a 99 f 250 a while back, had a pedal dropping while stopping, mimmicking a faulty master . Ended up being a leaky dump valve in the ABS.
I think the ABS unit is dumping the pressure or blocking it from getting to the wheels. Take it completely off the vehicle and plumb the lines to the system as a non ABS truck. After reading your post, and responses, and my own experience, it only makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
I think the ABS is the problem. I had a 99 f 250 a while back, had a pedal dropping while stopping, mimmicking a faulty master . Ended up being a leaky dump valve in the ABS.
I think the ABS unit is dumping the pressure or blocking it from getting to the wheels. Take it completely off the vehicle and plumb the lines to the system as a non ABS truck. After reading your post, and responses, and my own experience, it only makes sense.
it does make sense to me now, I can't find another problem, being through everything my brother and I know of, and that's 28 years of combined experience as mechanics, we've never had a problem like this on a ford, we did have something similar in an S10 Blazer, I think it was a 1994, we removed completely the abs and worked fine, only thing was a proportioning valve had to be installed, it locked up the rear tires.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Agusto - that sounds like you have a recurring problem, based on the original date of this thread.

First of all, this Expedition is an F150 with a different skin which means that the brakes should be good enough. One question though - since you said that this was a US Embassy vehicle, does it have any armor plating on it, increasing the actual weight by a lot?

Then, I do have to say that even as loyal a Ford owner as I am - they come equipped with some of the poorest calipers, soft rotors (low end of the hardness scale for these parts) and crappy pads. I know that you are having to pay ridiculous prices for parts, but I would at least change out the pads to Hawk LTS (there are others as good). Then when the time is right, the rotors. Of course, chilled iron, cross drilling and/or slotted are best, but I've been using Brembo or Centric OEM replacement and am very happy with their stopping power and life.

Just for a some discussion - these from my F350 had 36,000 miles and were 2 years old. . Their replacements now have ~40,000 miles and look like new. Our now sold Escape - 22,000 miles - OEM brakes were totally gone. Replaced with the Hawk/Brmbo combo - looked good at 90,000 when sold.

Dave W
well my rotors look like brand new, maybe it is because they are not being "used" lol

there's no armor plating in this vehicle, they don't need that over here, we are peaceful

and yes, I've had this problem for a long time, maybe this is why the embassy sold it, it was more dangerous than a mission in iraq
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto

there's no armor plating in this vehicle, they don't need that over here, we are peaceful
Agusto - I wasn't implying Ecuador wasn't peaceful - I've even been there on business - it's just that the US Gov't has 'a thing' for armor plate on ambassador's automobiles (as well as for some levels of high gov't officials, even here)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM

I know, I know, I was kidding, more people die in NY than in our whole country, but being serious US diplomats do take very high risks everywhere, probably in places where they migh feel safe they are not, say if I was a towelhead terrorist I would choose the US embassy in Ecuador which has less chance of being attacked than the US embassy in Iran for an attack, it would be more succesful over here, so I'm sure the american embassies are very well protected everywhere, and their cars must be protected also, things have changed a lot lately, I've seen now that the US ambassador here has a beautiful cadillac limo that I bet is heavily armored, getting inside the embassy to get a visa is now quite scary, armed guards, metal detectors, cameras, etc, the consulates are behind glass windows, man the 9-11 changed things a lot, damn towelheads did changed the world.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Agusto - with the smiley I thought you were - but sometimes over the internet, meanings get missed as one I have on another thread. I don't know when you visited the US last, but in many larger cities even many banks have metal detectors plus municipal buildings are heavily and armed guarded though in the town I live in, not yet though there is at least one security guy at the reception desk but he is there mostly to keep upset residents who have a problem quieted down - and I've never seen him agitated in the many meetings I attend .

9/11 is quite near to many local folks as we are only about 150 miles North. There were several local folks killed and even more that lost their jobs as this is within commuting distance for many even if it was only a weekly trip. Our GE office a block or so away was closed for several months for clean up with the staff working from home then from an alternate office. Life as we knew - changed a lot.

Now - back to the Expedition - I'm out of suggestions other then an ABS failure

Dave W
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM

so Dave, you must be near Buffalo? I was there back in 2005, and things were different, at Disney World a guard checked our bags and stuff, was weird, at the airport they asked us to remove our shoes, a guy who complained was taken off the line, but I understood it had to be done, all this safety measures, anyway life must go on, I still think the USA is the best country in the world despite the things that changed, I hope this year I could visit the states again, I'm missing the food and the races, I must go to a NHRA race and a NASCAR in a big oval.

Back to the expedition, I'm thinking of removing the ABS unit but is a lot of work and will need to adapt the lines well most of the work will be done by one of my employees bu I still will have to do some, I don't like doing those jobs but you know... someone must do it I don't want to cut anything because if the problem persist I want the ABS back, this makes the job more difficult.

I'll post later when I have the job done, thanks everybody for helping.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

You could try replacing the ABS unit with another if you really want to keep it on the vehicle.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM

while on the shop waiting for a miracle on the brakes issue I decided to replace an aging rubber bushing in the left front shock absorver, only to discover that there's no way to remove the air hose from the shock, damn ford engineers, do they hate the mechanics? how do you remove an air hose that does not have a fitting or some sort of connector? the chilton book doesn't even mention air suspension in the expedition section... weird to say the least..!!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Agusto - I'm 280 miles East of Buffalo. If you were to draw a line from New York City to Montreal, I would be about in the middle. I sounds like you have had at least one interesting trip to the US. It's a lot more then Disney - but heck, I enjoy a visit there every few years.

I don't think Ford did air suspension on the Expedition though Strutmaster offers a retrofit. Possibly yhere was an export model.

See the PM also.

Dave W
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM

Is the brake paddle hard when it won't stop or soft I have seen vac booster leak vac causing hard brake pedal on expedition
Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you have the 4 piston calipers you need to be sure all pistons are free. It is common for those pistons to freeze. For every frozen piston you will loose quite a bit of braking power.

Chet
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Agusto - I'm 280 miles East of Buffalo. If you were to draw a line from New York City to Montreal, I would be about in the middle. I sounds like you have had at least one interesting trip to the US. It's a lot more then Disney - but heck, I enjoy a visit there every few years.

I don't think Ford did air suspension on the Expedition though Strutmaster offers a retrofit. Possibly yhere was an export model.

See the PM also.

Dave W
I'v been in Buffalo and Niagara, also most upstate NY, I love that part of the country, NY city is a must to visit, craziest place in the world I think, worth every single minute of stay there, but it would be the last place in the world I would choose to live in. I would love living in a farm anywhere in the northern USA though.

about the expedition, air suspension is a factory option, gives one of the best rides I ever had that were not in a german car, it has torsion bars assisted with air shocks up front and air bags only, no springs in the rear, it's great.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird7980
Is the brake paddle hard when it won't stop or soft I have seen vac booster leak vac causing hard brake pedal on expedition
nope no hard or soft pedal, feels just right, tested several times the booster and is fine, I even changed the hose, check valve and the sponge air filter on the cabin side.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
If you have the 4 piston calipers you need to be sure all pistons are free. It is common for those pistons to freeze. For every frozen piston you will loose quite a bit of braking power.
itīs a 4 piston front, 2 rear system, but all move freely.

something is restricting full pressure from reaching the calipers? abs???

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.