Ford Expedition Brakes - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
went to this hill yesterday and coming downhill I made several panic stops, the first one it slow down fairly well but took too long to stop, made a second one and it took soooo long, sure crash would of be if it was a real panic brake, third one I had to use both feet and almost bent the steering wheel, it took even longer to stop, carefully went back to the shop that's about half mile down the road and measured the temperature of the discs, pads and calipers, an average reading was 310 deg farenheit for the rear brakes and 290 deg for the fronts, this means that the pads are being applied and the bias is right, but maybe not enough clamping force? what would be a temperature reading after three very hard brakings?
nobody has ever measured the brakes temperatures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I never have but I am surprised that with 4 wheel disks that they are not stopping the vehicle bat are causing enough heat to effect the braking. Disk brakes are not usually prone to brake fade from just 1 or 2 stops.
The easy test is to bypass the ABS unit to see if it helps.
it seems to me that if you can make enough pressure to generate that much heat that the fluid is getting there. When you changed the pads were they work evenly

Chet
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

yes the pads are brand new, original ford stuff, they already seated well and the discs are loosing the rough finish from the turning, I took them off, checked the wear pattern and is fine, cleaned it up with permatex brake cleaner and went back in bussines, same thing, no difference.

definitely something is reducing the fluid pressure and the only thing that could possibly do that is the ABS, seems like I must bypass it.

I'm still thinking of replacing the vaccum booster for a hydroboost, those things are powerful I have one in my C30 dually and is awsome.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

check the caliper slides and be dang sure they are moving freely. they will sieze in the anchor plate and greatly reduce the stopping power.the abs unit sounds to be at fault, does it have a proportioning valve? the late 70's fords had the same problem, never figured out why.look at the 4 brake hoses, if any of them have a bracket crimped to them, spread the crimps a little, they rust and pinch the hose, causing high pedal effort.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.