Ford Expedition - Pulling axels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Expedition - Pulling axels

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition 3L55 rear end. I want to pull the axels to have them redrilled for a Chevy wheel (going on my '53 Chevy sedan). Can't figure out how to do it. I've unbolted (four bolts) that hold on the dust cover and bracket for the brakes. From here I'm not sure what to do. I've taken off the rear end cover and then what?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Last photo:

Not really familiar with the Expedition, been away from the Fords for too long. I will assume it's a Spicer type rear axle since you said you pulled the cover off.

There are four gears inside the case that the big ring gear is bolted to. Two of those gears are on the axle ends and two are on a shaft that goes through the case that the ring gear is bolted to. That shaft should be held in place with a screw. Rotate the rear axle until that screw is visible and remove it. Slide the shaft all the way out. Once the shaft is out push in on both axles. On the ends of the axles there should be some "C" clips. Remove the "C" clips and slide the axles out.

Now if you have a traction loc that is a different animal.

Vince
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 AM

The way you describe it is how it looks. I saw that screw and wondered if that was what I needed to do. I did not see the C clips, but maybe they will be easyer to see once I remove the center pin. Will try to di it tonight after work. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Last photo:

The C clips are on the end of the axle and fit in a depressed area of the axle gear. Once you remove the cross shaft and push in the axle the C clip should fall out.

Vince
Old 04-29-2006, 01:34 PM

That was it. They are out now so I can get them redrilled for the Chevy wheels. Any type of adjustments needed when they go back in or just reverse the process?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You just reverse the process of removal to reinstall them.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:51 PM

ya I'm screwed now

Pulled this post back up for an update. I got the axles back today. Drilled for my Chevy '53 wheels. Slid the axles back in and thought I'd see how the wheels fit. Over the new bolts no problem, but the center of the wheel is to small for the center hub of the axle. Yes- I know what that makes me, but what can I do from here? Did this happen because the Expedition is a larger size than the Explorer rear? Do I have to use a ford wheel or would a new Chevy Wheel fit? The wheel bolt pattern is 4 1/4 to fit the old wheels. Can a new wheel be purchased with a 4 1/4 5 lug pattern? Can I still match up the wheels if I use a Mustang II front end? Makes me sick, know what I mean?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:43 PM

Now that I've cooled down a little, I figure the best way out of this is to put the bolt pattern back the way it is and match the front to the rear, ie, use Ford wheels. Only question I have deals with the center hub, is it a bigger diameter on the Expediton than what I can order on a Mustang II front end? Wost thing is I really wanted to use the old wheels and I've burned $100.00.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

Ford expedition axles

This may be a dumb question,but did you check the width on that rear end,compared to your chevy? I think the expedition rear is wider then the explorer,and it could be too wide for you. I have turned down the center of axles to fit different wheels,just leave enough to keep the drum(or rotor) centered,and turn down the outer part to fit your wheels.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 PM

I did check the width and it is with in a 1/4 inch best I can tell. Never checked an Explorer, was told they would work as well, but I don't know how close they compare (should say I don't remember because I think it has been discussed in here somewhere before). I called a friend tonight who gave me a name of a machine shop that will look at the axles for me to see about turning them.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.