Ford FE engine help needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford FE engine help needed

I want to put a 66 390 in place of a 427 to get a car moveable for a bit until I collect the parts to redo the 427. What do I need to know to do this? Are they balanced the same so I can use the 427 flywheel? How about the headers? I know there will be a port mismatch whereas the 427 is a high riser but will the 427 headers bolt up and not leak on the 390 heads? Anything else I need to know? BTW, this is for an original 64 Thunderbolt that has been hidden away for the last 40 years. Cool huh??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 PM

why does the car need to move? build the 427
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
why does the car need to move? build the 427
It will take some time and money to get the proper 427 parts. Have the 390. Would be nice to turn the key to move the car rather than pushing it around. Just an afternoons work to swap them out so why not? And because we want to.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 AM

the extra cost and minor mods makes me think? I would just get the parts and do it right the first time.I know 427s are a little rare,but if you have one then just build it.I cant see why it would take any longer than a couple weeks.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

The car has a period correct 427 low riser in it currently. Not going to dump money into that since it is not original to the car. While the block and crank and rods may be reused in a rebuild, it will take time and lots o' dollars to get the correct high riser parts for the car (carbs, intake, heads, pistons etc etc. The owner does not have the funds for purchasing those types of parts at this time. In the mean time, it must be made to run to move it around and perhaps cross the auction block or some other point of sale in the future. We have a 390 that runs. We will put it in there. I have found that the balance is not an issue and the headers will bolt up. Anything else that might be an unaccounted for surprise to slip a 390 into a 427 hole? I grew up with the small blocks so only have basic familiarity with the FE.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

390-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsroll View Post
The car has a period correct 427 low riser in it currently. Not going to dump money into that since it is not original to the car. While the block and crank and rods may be reused in a rebuild, it will take time and lots o' dollars to get the correct high riser parts for the car (carbs, intake, heads, pistons etc etc. The owner does not have the funds for purchasing those types of parts at this time. In the mean time, it must be made to run to move it around and perhaps cross the auction block or some other point of sale in the future. We have a 390 that runs. We will put it in there. I have found that the balance is not an issue and the headers will bolt up. Anything else that might be an unaccounted for surprise to slip a 390 into a 427 hole? I grew up with the small blocks so only have basic familiarity with the FE.
as long as the 390 is not from a mustang or cogar,the heads on those have a diferent bolt patern for exhaust,thats the only hangup i can think of.390 and 427 have samestroke so balance is no isue
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

header bolts

Part way the the Fe 's they added a different pattern for use in smaller cars, It sounds like you lucked out on bolt pattern. and the 427 used the 1 3/8 input on the trans, should be an easy bolt together.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Thunderbolt.

I tried to order a thunderbolt but the Dealer said he couldn't order one. Only a few dealers with connections could get them for APPROVER racers. My plan was to swap in a 390 and install a heater for use as a daily driver in the winter and back to a 427 for the summer race season.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I tried to order a thunderbolt but the Dealer said he couldn't order one. Only a few dealers with connections could get them for APPROVER racers. My plan was to swap in a 390 and install a heater for use as a daily driver in the winter and back to a 427 for the summer race season.
Going street did happen to a few of them. One was outiftted with a 289 and run on the street and has dissappeared from history.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate View Post
as long as the 390 is not from a mustang or cogar,the heads on those have a diferent bolt patern for exhaust,thats the only hangup i can think of.390 and 427 have samestroke so balance is no isue
Thanks! The 390 is from a 66 T-bird so I hope we are good to go. T-bird was an auto car so the flywheel swap had to work. I hope the motor mounts are workable whereas I do not want to drill out anything on the car that would have to be fixed later in restoration.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM

thunderbolt rear

The Rear suspension was drag race straight line only. the "TruckArm" suspension rear links were welded to the rear axle, NO rubber. the rear axle housing acted like one HUGE sway bar.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.