Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford fe intakes
Thread: Ford fe intakes
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalforever View Post
I have a fe engine that was in a 63 galaxie I got a few months ago. It had been sitting in a shop for years when I got it. It ran but not that well. Since I have got it I have done alot of work to it and have learned quite a bit about the engine. It is a new engine. Cam/lifters are new, double roller timing chain, bored, new pistons and very clean on the inside. Question is I am looking at swapping intakes because the old one seems to leaking at the gaskets. What is a good intake to run? It has a weiand on it now.
I may be a few years late on this...but I just joined and its a topic I can comment on. First, is your old manifold warped? The aluminum intakes are great at saving weight and typically flow better than the stock cast iron ones...but their width and the heat these engine bays can see can sure warp them in a hurry. Before you spend money on a new intake and filter through the list of what is available etc. You may want to run the engine and get it hot, then pull the intake off as quick as you can (should be a 10 minute jobs tops) and then put a straight edge down each side and see if you have any gaps beneath your edge...if you do the intake is junk and ready to be sold for scrap aluminum.

The comments were right on the Edelbrock performer. If you just need someone to flow a bit better and lighten the front axle, it is a good all around daily driver. If you can find an old Holley FE intake, they were pretty good and I ran one for years until swapping to a multi-carb set up.

Cheers.

Heath