Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford fe intakes
Thread: Ford fe intakes
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

ford FE

Years ago I had a 58 Ford Convertible That came with the logo on the dash that said thunderbird police interceptor special. The Engine was the same as the Edsel 361, a 352 with 060 over pistons from the factory . the heads had the early milling machined combustion chambers, The problem was the spark plug threads at an angle left sharp points that would cause pinging if a the octane was not 105. It would overheat with hard driving and the heads warped after a couple months. It took 030 to get them flat and that upped the CR more. I had a buddy that was partners in a hemi rail and a tech at the ford dealership. He showed me how to rework the combustion chamber. grind out the spark plug points, round a few corners, remove some metal around the exhaust, then. port the heads to just smooth things, then a lot of grinding at the exhaust port to header area. I got an isky cam kit, It was a very early design, it came with 1.5 to 1 rockers, new push rods, valve springs, and retainers, That engine sounded like a fuel dragster. I added an edelbrock 3-2 manifold and used GM wcd carbs. I had an old sun tach and it would rev close to 7 K. I have been told that the cam grind was the same one isky used for big olds and chrysler engines. Once in a while you will see the 1.5 rockers on the Fe forums but I have never seen a cam listed.