Ford Festiva not starting, need help BAD! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Aspiring eccentric

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Festiva not starting, need help BAD!

I have an '88 Festiva that was given to me and I really want to get it running again to abuse it for the mileage.

Here are the facts as I see them.
A month ago, I was given this car from a girl who thought she blew it up. It made a loud 'pop' sound and quit running last November. I trailered it home and toyed with the plugs, timing belt and distributor and found nothing really wrong, slightly worn, but all working. I noticed the gas gauge not working right and put some gas in it and it fired straight-away.

It ran great for about three weeks. However, last week on the way to work it died. With the gas gauge still not working, I assumed it was out of gas again. I got a couple gallons in it and it started right up and I drove the remaining two miles to work. Upon leaving work that night, the car started and died just after letting out the clutch. This happened several times. I was trying to learn why it was happening when I noticed that there was a clicking noise in the dash just as the engine died each time. It would start and run for 20-30 seconds, I'd hear this click and then it would die.

I came back the next day and tried to put gas in it and it took only about a gallon before it overflowed, it's got gas... I proceeded to replace all the ignition system components as I knew the car was due for a tune up and figured now was as good as time as any. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil. Before I replaced the coil, I noticed that the coil wasn't producing a spark, which is what led me to replace it anyway. Sadly, the new coil isn't producing a spark either.

The problem has to be between the key and the coil. I was told the there are Ďfusible linksí on the left strut tower. These have been found and checked and are good.

Iíve been wasting my time with this problem on the www.fordfestiva.com forum but these geeks donít seem to be all that mechanically adept. Hopefully someone here can tell me something that these guys at ff.com canít seem to see.

This little overgrown go-cart gets better than twice the mileage as my Trooper, so I REALLY want to get it running again. PLEASE HELP if you can.

Thanks,
Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

your ignition is grounding out. Either your ignition switch is bad or you have a bad gound somewhere, or your coil is being grounded on something.

Was breaking in a v8 once and had a tach hooked up to the coil on the positive side. Everything was going fine, then the motor just stopped. The tach wire had fallen on the header, the header had melted the insulation away from the wire and the wire grounded the current to the header.

K
Old 05-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Test

Doc here,

For a test, remove the coil positive wire, and install a jumper from the coil to the battery...fire it and see if it runs...

If it runs, try and drive it a few (equal amount to duplicate the problem) miles see if it stalls...

If not, then the wire going from the Ignition to the Coil is intermittent, open, or shorting to ground..you'll have to ohm the wire out back to the switch.

It could be also the connector at the bottom of the steering column is loose or corroded...Check there also. The connector at the firewall is another good spot to check.

Try that and let us know the results.

Doc
Old 05-19-2005, 06:27 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This automobile has the ignition module and stator inside of the distributor (akin to EUROPEAN and ASIAN designs). If no spark, that is most likely where you will find the trouble.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Aspiring eccentric

Last photo:

KULTULZ, would either the ignition module and stator be the cause of no spark FROM the coil going to the distributor? That's the problem I'm facing, no spark in the coil wire going INTO the dist cap.

I'm gonna run a jumper tonight and post an update.

Thanks to all,
Lee
Old 05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Aspiring eccentric

Last photo:

Jumper wire run and still nothing. I think at this point my best bet is to drag the car to Precision Tune and let them charge me $69.95 to diagnose the problem and go from there. I have no patience for this crap. I swear the '34 that I'm building will have nothing in it that doesn't make it go or stop, no radio, heat etc.

Thanks for all the help, it was far more helpful then the forum dedicated to this fine automoblie.

Lee
Old 08-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

hi i have a 88 ford festiva

heres my festiva i had to rebuild the engine and it runns same to the trasnny but i think theres a flaw in my tranny looking for parts and certain things i need a pair of tail light and i need a new glove compartment broke it today when putting in my new radio... excetra have a volt meter on the dash and a new altinator got put in and starter and new clutch i am looking to sell it i really wana sell it tho after those little thing are fixed other then that i'm in the process of painting it

heres a pic of it dont know if i'm allowed to do this

Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM

dude with the 88 festiva

idk if u already got what you was wantin but u have a 89 festiva no motor but i have a 4 speed tranny and want to get rid of it it has every thing but a hood and passenger seat u can get it for $200 if you live in ohio if your interested send me a email ***************** thank you

Last edited by T-bucket23; 02-10-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Classified ad. Please use the Hotrodders Classifieds for classified ads.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Duded with the Festy that needs hood and pass. seat.

If you still have the car get in touch with me.

vanilla_rose316@yahoo.com
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 AM

i belive that problem is your distributer there is a electrical type chip in side i ust had same issue i ust got a whole distributer car great running now but i to had to replace everything you did
Old 03-01-2013, 04:43 AM

Last photo:

The car is prob in the junkyard by now...... the op was in '05 and last reply was '09
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Omg.............
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Aspiring eccentric

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Omg.............
OMG is right.

I sold this car to a coworker about two weeks after all this for $100, making it a break-even deal. He proceeded to hot-dog the car around the parking lot for a good hour after work not long after that and blew up the motor AND trans in the same night! So I'm sure it was in a bone yard within two months of my last post. Or at least I hope it was...

I still get at least three questions about this car from the morons at the Fiesta site annually, even after posting there that I don't own it anymore and will never own another. They just don't get it...

We now return to your normal hot rodding day...
Lee

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.