Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford Flat head manual trans w/ pto option

7K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Duker Digers 
#1 ·
Yes I have found a Ford manual Flathead trans top loader with with the optional PTO side cover. I want to go old school on a project....but this trans will not move into gear..its in neutral... both input and output shafts turn at the same rate and turns very easy. What is the shift pattern, is it a 4 or 5 speed,..... and how to free up and make it shift into gears. Any ideals ? Thanks for reading.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
I never said it was from a car. Its has a big rear brake on the output shaft. And if i remember right the cars shifted on the tree. Only the trucks had the shift handle up from the floor in the 1930-1940's and 1950's for the flathead. And only the big trucks had the PTO option to raise the truck bed!

#15 ·
I have a listing for 59T-7006 as a Warner Gear T9 for Ford according to my Hollander Warner/Clark/New Process book.

Be very careful when researching T9's as FORD had a more modern, passenger car trans sold in Europe called a T9, make SURE your info is for the heavy truck trans.
Warner T9 tranny help? | The H.A.M.B.
I mis-spoke, it was ford who made the euro Trans.

Also, The Warner T9 for FORD apps, may have T8 casting numbers. My boss' suspicion is that ford paid for some percentage of the tooling and design work.

T9s were used in everything from Ford AA trucks up until the 50s if not later in trucks, and then even longer in industrial applications.

If you have a Chiltons or Motors manual that covers the late 40s to early 50s...it should cover this trans. IH used a lot of them too.

#17 ·
I don't know, I have a Hollander book with some info, but its not the best option for a primary source document. Better would be something supplied by Ford or Warner Gear. I wish I had an answer for you.
Try Transmission Warehouse, in Madison, IN. 812-265-2485. Try to talk to Harry. He may have some parts for this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.