Ford Flat V8 question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ford Flat V8 question

I just recently bought a 48 Ford Deluxe car that has a Ford flat head V8 and have some questions. I need to find out how do I get the heads off so I can see what condition the block is in. I have already removed all the nuts, 24 of them and sprayed a ton of penetrating oil around the head. I don't want to hammer on them or stuff my pry bar between the block and head and muscle it off. I am afraid I might damage the block or heads. I have already tried putting my pry bar into the water neck in the head and tried to rock it back and fourth. I have had no success besides breaking the seal on the top and front of the head. These head don't want to budge anymore than this, is there a special way to get them off? If there please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know little of flatheads, but I'm going to guess that it's been sitting for a long time and you don't want to turn the engine over in a hurry.

Even flathead compression would help unseat the heads but I would be leery about spinning it over.

How 'bout fitting compressed air to the spark plug holes - can you get your hands on a leakdown tester setup and compressor? Maybe even low pressure in the cylinder would get things started.

I would be tempted to put a block of wood up against the end of the head and whack on that - what with the penetrating oil you've got in the cracks something might give.

Are there any good-sized tapped holes on the heads that you can apply some pull against with an engine crane?

Last one - take a tiger torch to one head and see if the thermal expansion helps to crack it loose. If nothing else, all that burning penetrating oil will make for quite a sight!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

If the engine crank can be rotated, re-install the sparkplugs. Rotate crankshaft and the compression will break the heads loose from the block.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

The engine is locked up and still in the car setting on a flatbed in the country. I also don't have any access to power out there and my gas powered air compressor is broke, I need to take it to the shop. That head is glued down, I just wanted to see how bad of shape the engine is in. I guess I could hook it the front bucket on my dad 720 JD tractor and pull it off but that might be excessive.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydawg
I know little of flatheads, but I'm going to guess that it's been sitting for a long time and you don't want to turn the engine over in a hurry.

Even flathead compression would help unseat the heads but I would be leery about spinning it over.

How 'bout fitting compressed air to the spark plug holes - can you get your hands on a leakdown tester setup and compressor? Maybe even low pressure in the cylinder would get things started.

I would be tempted to put a block of wood up against the end of the head and whack on that - what with the penetrating oil you've got in the cracks something might give.

Are there any good-sized tapped holes on the heads that you can apply some pull against with an engine crane?

Last one - take a tiger torch to one head and see if the thermal expansion helps to crack it loose. If nothing else, all that burning penetrating oil will make for quite a sight!
Flat heads are aways a pain to get off. It's likely you'll end up driving a chisel thru the gasket space to force it apart by breaking up the head gasket. If these are aluminum heads its a worse situation. For cast iron, you can apply a lot of force without damaging them.

Bogie
Old 09-28-2008, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

I got both heads off but I broke the passengers side, now its junk. Those things were glued down and didn't want to budge. All but three of the bores were not rusted up. They all have a huge ridge on the top, and the drivers side front cylinder is the worst. The engine doesn't look like it has ever been broke open, the head gasket has the same number stamped in it as the head casting, it even says Ford in the fancy letters. The worst bore would have to be sleeved unless you could bore it .125 but that is a guesstimate. Removing the heads on this flathead has been the hardest thing I have ever done on a automobile. Let me re-phrase this, removing anything on this 48 Ford is the most difficult thing I have ever done on a automobile.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.