Ford FMX/Hurst Vmatic II - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford FMX/Hurst Vmatic II

Ive got my Willys all wired up,plumbed etc...but now im trying to install the ratchet shifter. I bought a Hurst Vmatic II a few years ago,and installed it on my 72 Maverick 289/C4 auto..love the shifter and it always worked flawlessly.minimal adjustments to get it installed..the box,and instructions which i still have..says it can be used on the C4 and the C6 and has the accompanying brackets.Well now im finding that its not going together so well now installing it on my FMX.I can make my own bracket and figure out how to mount the shifter..but my question is...will the shifter line up with the fmx shift pattern?..when i place the shifter in 'park' will it line up?..im reading some posts in other forums where others are doing/done the same thing i am..it appears there really is no hurst/B&M etc automatic shifter for the FMX..and some say they are using a vmatic same as me..but the shifter doesnt really work properly as in..you have to 'feel around' or wiggle it to engage park/drive,1st,2nd etc..the shift pattern is different on an fmx than a c4 or c6.Reverse ends up being in the 'nuetral' position on the shifter..or some other such headache..are they just not taking the time to figure out how install it and have it work properly? or is it just plain fact there is no way to mate the shifter and trans together so when i hit 'park' it goes into park..and when im in first..it IS in first then second when the pointer points at 2nd on the etc?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM

I'm in the middle of swapping a Cruse O Matic for a C-6 in my 58 Fairlane and using the stock column shift and I think we have a similar problem.
In my case the travel on the COM column shifter is longer than the travel of the shift arm and detents in the C-6. I can have P in the right spot or 1 in the right place, but not both simultaneously. Right now I have P-R and N in the right spots,D is close, but 1 and 2 are way off as the trans. runs of of travel before the shifter.
I'm assuming you will have the opposite problem, with more trans. than shifter travel.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 AM

Last photo:

FMX/ratchet shifter

getting this ratchet shifter and fmx to work together is killing me!!!..i dont want a factory floor shifter.I want to use my ratchet shifter. Does anyone have a solution?..or how about a factory floor shifter from a 1979 Mercury cougar 302/fmx?....just like the one i threw away because..because..i..i..im dumb??
Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

You're not dumb. Welcome to hotrodding. Even stuff that is SUPPOSED to fit; never does. You may want to broaden your thread to 'Anyone have experience modifying detents to make shifter work properly' or similar.

If this came out of a cougar; Hit up the Mustang/Cougar boards. You cant be the first guy ever to try to make a Vmatic fit an FMX.

Keep your head up; We'll do what we can to help.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Getting the Detent pattern & radius of the Arm is gonna be tough. Hopefully someone else has done this.
Check with Kilduff, he may have a pattern or be able to make you a Shifter.
Welcome to Kilduff Machine "Home of the Ratchet Shifter"Automatic Race Shifter,Performance Automatic Shifter,,Aftermarket Automatic Shifter, Custom Console Shifter, Horseshoe Shifter, Drag Race Shifter, Ford, GM, Mopar
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

i found one webpage where a guy did exactly what im trying to do,He posted a picture of the bracket/detent he had to make in order for his shifter to work.He also added a small drawing.He says the shifter works properly '1st' is in the proper postion..2nd 'D' park on the shifter is park on the trans..etc...i will have to modify mine a bit different but His pic answered alot.I will also add my own input here and pics so if anyone else runs into this.they will have an idea of what to do.A few measurements and some 'trial and error' will be on tommorows plan of the day,and it will be time consuming but it can be done
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

post the webpage?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

its called 'Therooseveltexperiment.com'

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.