Hot Rod Forum banner

ford fuel prob.desprate !

966 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pjsplayhouse 
#1 ·
hello all

sorry for this long story but,.i have a 1986 ford bronco full size 302 fi. the problem started when i drove it down the road and it quit on me and would not start back.i took it home checked the fuel pumps and they are working.so from there i took the hose off the air intake poored gas in and she fired up.so i went to the enirtia switch checked voltage had voltage bypassed with a paper clip and it worked drove it down the road and it died again wouldnt start back checked the switch again no voltage well i took it to a shop they caint figure it out and tell me its not worth putting the money into.im thinking cpu but want to see what everyone thinks before i put the money in somthing i cannot take
back and it not be the prob.now i checked it today after it has been sitting for a while.2weeks batt dead.hooked my cables up boom voltage to the switch now .im confused any help would be greatly appreciated .
in all the toll bills have killed me getting it running and the dying on me total 2times and a haul to the shop.so thx in advance pjs.:confused:

#3 ·
i went to the enirtia switch checked voltage had voltage bypassed with a paper clip and it worked drove it down the road and it died again wouldnt start back checked the switch again no voltage
If you are sure both pumps are working and the rail pressure is correct, I would test the fuel pump relay (voltage available at the pump(s)-you have to be quick as they will only run for a few seconds without an engine start) the next time she cuts off. Also the connector on the pressure pump (as mentioned) will get corroded and not energize the pressure pump at times.

#4 ·
The fuel pump relay, as KULTULZ mentioned, is a great place to look. Relays will work intermittently sometimes before they fail completely. Next time it happens see if you can swap the fuel pump relay with a different relay, or you could try just replacing the relay since they are pretty inexpensive.

#5 ·
hello all

thx for the response but there isnt a relay
but there is fusable links witch seem to be fine all leads are clean because i cleaned them before putting the fuel pumps back in place anymore ideas would be good i appreciate all you folks but im lost i caint think of much else and that cpu is gonna cost me a min of a 100 cash . thx pjs

#7 ·
You need to know if its a fuel or electrical problem. Verify 1st that you are loosing fuel pressure. You can jump a wire onto the inertia switch and run the lead to the front floor and install a side marker lite bulb and ground the other end. If the lite goes off when the engine dies, you will know the problem lies before the inertia switch. You need to monitor the fuel pressure at the schreader valve to see if your loosing fuel when the engine dies. TFI will cause the engine to die. When it dies get out and check for spark. The PCM rarely causes the engine to die in the way you have mentioned. That is the last step in the diagnosis. Guessing can get real expensive. Maybe you need to find a another shop if your current tech is incapable of finding your problem. "Dies while driving" is not that difficult to diagnose with proper monitoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.