Ford Galaxie Disc Brake Conversion
We are going to convert a 1966 Ford Galaxie to disc brakes. I have looked over "Hotrodders Knowledge Cluster: Disc Brake Conversions" and found useful information there but it does not exactly answer my question.
I will start with the things I know about this conversion.
In 1966 Galaxies had a single brake system, Ford went to the duel system in 1967.
To convert a 66 Galaxie to disc brakes I will need:
1. a duel reservoir master cylinder.
2. a disc brake proportioning valve from a newer Ford
3. right and left disc brake spindles
4. two rotors
5. right and left calipers
6. a good quantity of new brake line
If I have left anything out please tell me.
Now for the things I do not know.
1. what years of full size Ford disc brake spindles will work?
2. will I need to change the power brake booster?
I have several models of disc brake equipped Fords in my possession and from eyeball comparisons I should have something that will work.
It looks like the spindles from the 1979 Thunderbird or the 1987 Crown Vic police car should work or do I need to look for something older?