Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Ford Guru's - help needed! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ford-gurus-help-needed-203736.html)

Toyman 08-15-2011 06:58 AM

Ford Guru's - help needed!

I'm trying to help out my uncle, and he's dealing with a '79 Lincoln Mark V with a 400 that he hasn't had running in the past 10+? years. (I'm a Chevy guy :spank: ) Anyway, he called me last nite and asked if I had any thoughts on his problem. He just replaced the (an?) ignition module that was bad. When he tries to start the car, he's not getting spark until he released the key. He says that he remembers it being this way when the car was running, but it would catch and start. He also pulled the ignition, thinking that could be the problem, but found that it's some sort of 'rack and pinion' setup. So....that's what I have, any of your Ford guru's got any ideas of where to start?

Bryan59EC 08-15-2011 07:05 AM

Try the starter relay/solenoid???

There is a post on that relay that only provides power while the engine is cranking.

Not all that familiar with the later Fords-----but one of those solenoid wires goes to the coil on my ranchero.

Toyman 08-15-2011 12:38 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a look!

Richiehd 08-15-2011 05:41 PM

Tilt Wheel? Some issues with the ignition switch or key and tumbler. Ignition switch is bolted to top of the column below the instrument panel. Switch adjustment, bad switch, or key tumbler rack wore out/brock.

RoyJr1987 08-15-2011 05:49 PM

Yea, sounds like the selinoid is hooked up backwards, or its not getting a ground unless the ''other'' half of it is engaged, ( turning it over) Im not really familure with fors either, but I hope this helps. :thumbup:

LATECH 08-15-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Try the starter relay/solenoid???

There is a post on that relay that only provides power while the engine is cranking.

Not all that familiar with the later Fords-----but one of those solenoid wires goes to the coil on my ranchero.

X 2 Brian, there is (supposed to be) a terminal on the solenoid marked with an "I" to signify the ignition bypass connection, if there is no terminal then someone put the wrong solenoid on, Look for the push on terminal hanging from the harness for the "I" terminal, if it is hooked up, test it to be sure it is energizing while cranking.

4 Jaw Chuck 08-15-2011 10:57 PM

Bad pickup inside the distributor, common for it to be bad when the module goes.

willowbilly3 08-15-2011 11:01 PM

The white wire on the module is for start mode, make sure its getting power when you crank.

Toyman 08-16-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Bad pickup inside the distributor, common for it to be bad when the module goes.

Where exactly is the pickup? The distributor seems pretty bare since the module is on the outside. Seems like there is only the cap and rotor. I have my uncle checking out the solenoid today, hopefully that's it, but he's pretty adamant that it's not since he jumped the solenoid and still had the same issue. The pickup has come up twice now, so maybe it's the culprit.

Thanks to everyone for the input!