ford inline sixes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 05:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ford inline sixes

i have a ford 300 inline six i want to make at least out run Chevy small block i a have a limited supply of money so if anyone has some tips to give me it would be appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

fordsix.com, inlinersinternational, fordtrucks.com, and a bunch of Mustang forums all have info on the six.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

First thing is to find some money as everything for one of those has to be built...Once that is sorted out look for a truck block and crank that has the forged steel crank in it as those can handle some serious HP..Have the block cleaned and sonic tested for defects and then have a competent machine shop do the normal race prep on it..decked and line honed and all that sort of thing..Stock rods should be good for anything that you will do on pump gas..have them straightened and shot peened..
Pistons I do not have a clue on those right now..I am sure someone knows though..Heads on the 300 are a bit restrictive for high HP so some of the guys are working using the Chev LS-1 heads to make a head that fits the 300 six..Gotta go see someone like Steve at Eagle Machine though for that kind of work as not too many local shops are equipped or have the expertise to do that..

Cam for that go to Cam Research up in Colorado and have one made to suit and go with roller rockers as the spring pressures in one of those will eat a flat tappet cam in short order..

Induction go with Hilborn stacks or make your own using Ford injectors and a Megasquirt ECU to contorl them..After all of this the headers will be a no-brainer..

Can you DIY a lot of this..sure you can,,just takes determination to get it done..

Moving to engine..

Sam
Old 06-01-2008, 06:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Turbocharger, it's the only way to make power on a budget with a 6cyl. somthing like an HX 35.. Go to www.fordsix.com for help. a few people tunning turbo 300's. Classic Inlines is an excelent source for parts, there even in the middle stages of producing an aluminum cylinder head for the 240-300, they have 1 in production for the 144-250.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

I don't think you have realistic goal(s).
Quote:
i have a ford 300 inline six i want to make at least out run Chevy small block i a have a limited supply of money so if anyone has some tips to give me it would be appreciated
It's quite common to make 500+ HP with a sbc, unless you're talking about a 267, then you might have a chance of outrunning one. It sounds as though you're scared of the sbc, wanting to outrun one and all, can I ask why? Has one been chasing you down? You better find some more money or your ford will start spewing ford dust from its bowels. IMHO
Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

I agree with Stroke on this. While it is a good engine, and quite capable of putting out some serious horsepower; it's going to cost a lot of money to do it.
Basically, since this was built as a truck motor, it was never marketed or produced for its performance capabilities. So, there is really not any factory technology (like for some of the high performance 4 bangers out there) to make it a high output piece from the start.
You have to do it from the aftermarket. Do some research. Suppliers listed above have many ways to make HP. Keep in mind the gas of today, and the limits of your pocketbook. Maybe build something relatively mild and efficient; and put it in a Maverick, Falcon, or something real light. It'll run.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

thak you helpful pepole

some of you people helped the rest of can kiss my grits because the sbc i meant was stock and i want the punk driving to relize it is p.o.s (no ofense to chevy lovers)
Old 06-01-2008, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969f-100

Getting power out of a six is very doable but comparatively expensive. Here's a URL to get you started:

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=F300

Basically the 6 responds to the same things as an 8, better intake, larger carb, more cam, more compression, headers and duals all contribute to improving power.

Keep in mind that the large 6s use a lot of V8 parts; pistons, rods, lifters, valves and valve springs have degrees of interchangeability.

The intake and exhaust system on the big Ford 6 can not only be replaced with over the counter parts, though expensive compared to an SBC or a SBF for that matter. However, with some shop skills these engines lend themselves to the fabrication of manifolds from mild steel tube at home or in a shop class at school.

The usual things will have an effect, headers into duals would be a decent and less expensive place to start. More compression can be had by milling the head. Certainly replacing the 1 barrel and its intake is desirable. A 4 barrel Clifford would be nice, but you can fabricate one from exhaust tubing, or even modify the existing intake by making adapters than can be clamped, epoxied, or brazed to the cast intake to use 3 to 6, 1 barrel carbs. Or modify the intake to take 1, 2, or 3, 2 barrel carbs.

The cam needs replacing for any kind of performance work, unfortunately the only solutions here are new or re-griding the shaft you have.

It always takes money, but with an inline 6 a little cleverness and some fabricating abilities can go a long ways.

Bogie
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

a cheap option instead of headders is the EFI manifolds, there 2 peices and flow better than the old single peice manifold.. then you can port them out a little.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.