Ford in a Jeep - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Ford in a Jeep

I have an 84 Jeep cherokee which I just pulled the engine and tranny from..Turns out the engine is toast as well as the transfer case and the tranny is nothing to write home about either..

Now I do have lots of Ford pieces and am thinking about putting one of my 302 small blocks in along with a ford trans and transfer case..As long as I have to buy parts might as well get the ones I want...Eh!

Has any one done this??? any input would be appreciated..

Thanks
Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Old Crusty Streetrodder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I haven't heard of anyone doing it, and that is precisely why you should. A SBF would be a great swap, and I can't think of any serious challenges you'll encounter. Too many "me too" setups out there...

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Did some measuring and checking and it loks like this wiil be a good swap as there is not too much fabbing to do found a good tranny and transfer case that will work so I can get started..ordered some motor mounts (Speedway) that will save some fabrication time on the install..

I think the biggest thing will be adapting the ford engine to the Jeep emmisions and getting the front axle working as it is the automatic hubs..

Sam
Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Go to www.novak-adapt.com. They have all the adpaters and such for transfer cases. As long as you have a transfer case with a left (driver's side) front axle output you will have no problems. The front axle on the Jeep has a vacuum motor to lock it. You can replace that with a cable kit or a manual vacuum valve under the dash. The SBF is a couple inches narrower than an SBC, so should be an easier fit. You just have to change the engine, trans, and I think transfer case. Novak will have info on that. I'm not sure what case the 2.5L four/2.8L V-6 used, but they used the same one. You'll just need custom driveshafts made. The axles are a Dana 30 on the front, and a Dan 35 on the back. With regular size tires (no more than 30 or 31 at the biggest) and a mostly stock 302 they will hold up fine, but if you plan on big tires, or go the opposite and drag race it with sticky tires, the axles will be the weak points. The front one should be okay, but you'll need a heacier rear axle. Ford Explorer 8.8" axles will fit. But for average trails (rough roads more than serious off roading -- and no real mud bogging!) they will hold up fine. FYI, they a 7-9/16" ring gear axles, equivalent to Ford 8" and GM 10 bolt. Some 84s with the HD option may have a Dana 44 or AMC 20. Not very likely as they are very rare!!

I would have suggested you get a 4.0L from a later model Jeep and forget the V-8 conversion because of the work involved. But you'd have as much work and still have to change the trans out. The 87 and later Jeeps with the 4.0L have a 2" recess in the firewall to accomodate the straight six. Rumor from an ex AMC/Jeep engineering employee is that the engineer in charge didn't like the straight six and intentionally designed the engine bay so it wouldn't fit. The 4.0L is a fully modernized version of the venerable AMC six, and is totally different in power aspects to what was readily available in 84. The 84 4.2L (258) six only put out 110 hp, though it still developed a respectable amount of low speed torque. The 87 4.0L (243) put out 177 hp and a bit more low speed torque, with 190 hp by 1991.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

That should be a good swap. I have a friend who put a 351 Cleavland [sp] in a CJ. Looked to me to be a pretty good fit. I don't see him often, but next time I do I'll try and get some pics.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Well I did look into the 4.0 swap but then I do have the 302 on hand and the ford transfer case is a left side output so all of that can be be done using stock pieces ..the motor mounts will have to be made..using the weldon tabs and mounts from Speedway as no 0ne makes a motor mount for this swap..Lots of pieces for wranglers and CJ's out there not much for Cherokees..About the only custom pieces I need are the drive shafts and some of the hookup pieces (misc stuff that I will find I need)..

I am going to run the stock axles I have and if a break one then I will fix it..

This is one of those "ORR" projects "Original Rat Rod" doing everything possible out of wrecking yard parts with only a few aftermarket pieces and then only when stuck..

Sam
Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Trans issues solved--Update

H,mmmm been a whils since I posted in this thread..I had to do some looking to find a suitable trans and transfer case..What I went with is a Ford manual tha tis a 3 speed with overdrive and the NP 208f transfer case..

that combo is about the same physical size as the original combo that was in the cherokee and has the left side output to line up with the Jeep front axle..

Maybe by spring I will have this thing running..

Sam
Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Sounds like all is under control! I've heard of 302s and SBCs in Cherokees, but the only one I saw was in a 2WD vehicle. The Cherokee axles should be okay as long as it's a mild or stock 302. If you intend to do any serious mudding or wheeling you're going to end up with broke axles. But that's the same with 4.0L models. The D30/D35 (front/rear) is great for the road and trails, but won't take a whole lot of abuse. The common gear ratios are 3.55 (4.0L w/auto), 3.08 (4.0L w/5 speed), and 4.11 (all four cylinders). Some 3.73s were used in 84-86 2.8L V-6 (GM) models, but they seem to be rare.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:

I think you'll be just fine, and I'm anxious to hear about your swap and see pictures! I had a cherokee too and I miss that truck! While you have the guts out of it, however, check into that front end. Mine need a complete re-do after about 165k (which I guess is par for the course).

The SBF will be shorter than the 4.0 liter, and the engine bay on those is pretty forgiving. I would think it would slip right in there!

Best of luck, cool project-

K
Old 12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Since this was a 2.8 GM model I think I may have the 3.73 gears..if so tha tis fine for now..I am not planning on doing mcuh serious offroad with this truck as it will be more for pats delvery and shows,,

thanks
Sam
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

The 302 would be a unique swap... interesting...

4.0 stroker engines can make around 260hp, and more aggressivley tuned ones can get 300.

When it comes time for my 4.0 to go, I'll go with a stroker... and a Dana 44 rear.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I really liked my 4.0, and I've heard about those stroker kits (I think they give you about 5.0 liters displacement). From what I hear about them they're decent, but you'd probably be money ahead just putting in a stock V8 and trans. Who knows, price one out and see. Keep in mind this car is a carbureted ride, so there aren't a whole lot of "tuning" options-

K
Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

My take is that if one has the 4.0 already..rebuilding the existing with a stroker makes a lot of sense..mine just happened to come with a toast 2.8 and I have quite a few 302 pieces here..hence the swap..

Sam
Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I hear you man, let us know how the progress goes. Pix would be cool of the process. You could do a "play by play" and post it in your journal and jeep forums.

If the purists get down on you, just remind them that the original 2.8 was a contracted engine from general motors!

K
Old 12-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Since you have all the parts it would be a fun project. It might even make a decent ride out of it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.