Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford man needs help with his Chevy

957 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  1969NovaSS 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I picked up a rebuilt 350 with a "mild cam", whatever that is, I am putting it in a 34 Ford with a 350 turbo. I will be running a 650 Holley and msd ignition. My question is where do I start with spark plugs, normally I would run Autolite in my Ford but what do you guys recomend in a Chevy and a part number would also be helpfull. I think the engine was from a 70 Camaro.

Thanks for all the help

#5 ·
Look at the mating surface where the plugs screw in. Newer heads have a tapered or beveled surface, while older heads will be flat. The flat style uses plugs with washers built on. If your heads are indeed 1970 vintage they should use plugs with washers. Autolite makes a replacement plug for that application. I personally use AC-delco plugs in GM cars. I've never had good luck with champions, but that's just me. Some people claim autolites last longer. Who knows?

#9 ·
The appropriate "stock type" plug in AC brand for GM cars for me. I use Motorcraft in Fords. Regardless of ignition systems, wire type, etc.

If you don't have MSD they idle poorly.
I have never had an engine that ran well with fine wire plugs, period. Carbed, fuelie, or turbo. I wouldn't run them if they were free.

Split Fires made a noticable difference but I had so many defective ones that I avoid them.

I have had just as good service and performance by indexing standard plugs.

Most people run too cold of a plug in a performance engine and low speed performance suffers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.