Ford Maverick 302 V8 Conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Ford Maverick 302 V8 Conversion

Hey guys..Been awhile since I've posted.I've been busy with school,selling that dang Mustang,etc.Anyway,I did have time to think of a little conversion effort.
Now I know that you guys notice that I keep myself revolving around these Ford's..I guess it's just in my blood.Anyway,I know where I can get a 1970-1975 Ford Maverick.Can't remember the exact model,but it's in between those.Anyway,I was thinking of doing a 302 conversion with the car,along with a C4 transmission.Now,I know that it's been done because I've seen them advertised on eBay,etc..But,what do I need to buy to do the conversion?Is there a certain kit that I need?Here's my main concerns:

1. Will I Need To Do A Rear End Swap Also?If so,which rear end?A 9 Inch Ford?
2. Where Do I Purchase The Materials For The Conversion,(i.e.Motor Mounts,Transmission Mounts,etc.).
3. What can I do to reinforce the frame?

These are my main concerns.I've got about a year before I start driving,so that gives me time to save my money and work on the car.Let me know any concerns,questions,comments,etc.

Thanks!
Jacob Middleton

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

I believe mavericks came with a 302 option. I could be wrong though. If thats the case, its a damn easy conversion, just get a doner car. Couldnt you just use mustang 2 parts also, i thought they were pretty much the same car.

An 8 inch would be adequate, its a small car.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks Mustang66.There's guys on the Maverick Message Boards that are always talking about installing those Mustang 2 Front Ends,Rears,etc.Anyhow,I belive that it's pretty easy to swap all of the suspension stuff out from Mr.Mustang,II.I don't know about the factory option V8,unless maybe the Maverick Grabber had that option.I don't know.I'll just have to do some research.I think that it will be pretty easy myself,my only problem is that I'm kind of worried about the space between the spark plugs and the strut towers??It's pretty close.I guess that if a guy wanted too,he could just kind of dent them in to give adequate space to change the plugs.Although,it wouldn't look so hot.Know what I mean?

Thanks!
Jacob Middleton
Old 05-16-2003, 03:45 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

They did come with 302's and the motor mounts, etc. are available at the parts store. You will need the frame mounts and to put a better rearend and front brakes unless it has 5 bolt wheels, they may have converted all of them to 5 bolts in the later years. The Mustang parts they were referring to were most likely first generation and not MII. The only MII part that will fit easily is the 8" rearend that came with the V8 versions,none of the front suspension stuff will go on without some serious modifications.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Well,I think that I've found my engine and transmission.I called the local pick n' pull today about a 302 and a C4,and he said that he has them out of a 1979 Ford Thunderbird.He said that he didn't know if the transmission was a C4 or not,but I believe that it is.He said that he knew it was the original transmission that came in the car,along with the engine.Would you guys think that it would be a C4?Anyway,it's already been pulled from the car and it's all complete.He wants $100.I think that's fair enough.Do you guys?He said that he would,just to be sure,overhaul it all so that I'd know it was an excellent engine.Tell me what you guys think and what I should look for tomorrow when I go and pick it up.

Thanks!
Jacob Middleton
Old 05-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Well,I didn't go and get the engine and transmission.I'm going to get it this week though,when I'm out of school.The one Maverick that I thought that I could get was a total bummer.It's been in my uncle's field for 15+ years and it's in pretty bad shape.It will AT LEAST need new front fenders and rear quarter panels.That's a little more than I want to put in that car.It was a 1974 model,by the way,with the original I6.There's one on Trader Online in North Carolina that I called about last night.It's a 1974 model and it's got the original 2-Barrel 302 and 3 on the tree.That won't last long though if I get it .I think that it being an all-original car,and the owner of it now in his 50's and the second owner,it would be worth $2000.It's got 105,000 miles on it and he says there's no rust what-so-ever on the car.He said that it's just like it came from the factory.He said that he could possibly deliver it also,so that's a big plus.Do you guys think that I should leave it sitting,or buy it if it's in as good of shape as he says?

Thanks!
Jacob Middleton

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.