Ford Model A Engine "Swap" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 AM
VDub Shop: http://vdubshop.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Model A Engine "Swap"

I am looking into the possiblity of importing a Ford Model A to Norway, but at this time i am gathering as much info as possible. I have been looking around on the web to find information on which "modern" engine and trans. would be best to put in a stock ford model a?

Am basicly looking for a more "modern" type engine with automatic trans. that will fit the model a stock frame...

Or an engine and trans. that will fit the stock frame without A LOT of frame and body mods.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I suspect you will have to use a four cylinder engine and trans from a real wheel drive car to keep from having to butcher the frame or body . Maybe able to fit a small I6 . Thinking maybe BMW .
Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Welcome to the site as it looks like your first post!!

As far as putting a modern V8 into a Model A Ford and without doing a lot of chassis and body modifications will be next to impossible. I'll list out a few reasons:

---The original frame is at least 78 years old. If the car was used a lot during its life, there are quite possible cracks in the front and transmission cross members. Also any of the many holes in the frame could possibly have been the beginnings of cracks. They can be repaired and the frame boxed and used successfully. I chose to go aftermarket with a TCI chassis

---The drive line is too weak to use a modern V8 or any other modern engine and the torque tube drive shaft is very difficult to adapt to auto transmissions.

---The original brakes are rod actuated mechanical brakes and entirely unsuited for any use - anywhere. You will need to adapt a hydraulic brake system.

---The body will need some modifications to use a modern V8 as the firewall will need to be recessed at least 3 inches (8cm). Mine is 5 inches (12.5cm) to clear my 5.0 Ford. When you do that you will lose the cowl mounted gas tank. You can mount a late model 4 cylinder and some V6 engines without modifying the firewall, though the floor will need to be changed to fit whatever auto transmission you use..

---The plywood floorboards on some models should be replaced with steel.

There are a lot more things to think about, but at least it's a few to start with.

While what you are thinking about doing is not impossible, it can get very expensive especially if you have to import many of the parts. If you are just interested in importing a body and frame, there are, I'm sure a lot of junk yard cars in Norway that can be used for parts - but you will literally be on your own to adapt those unfamiliar parts to us for your car.

Give it a lot of thought and keep posting here for ideas and help. I had a lot of help and suggestions from the members here when I was building the '31 'A' that you see in the box above.

Dave W
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

As far as putting a modern V8 into a Model A Ford and without doing a lot of chassis and body modifications will be next to impossible. I'll list out a few reasons:

---The original frame is at least 78 years old. If the car was used a lot during its life, there are quite possible cracks in the front and transmission cross members. Also any of the many holes in the frame could possibly have been the beginnings of cracks. They can be repaired and the frame boxed and used successfully. I chose to go aftermarket with a TCI chassis

---The drive line is too weak to use a modern V8 or any other modern engine and the torque tube drive shaft is very difficult to adapt to auto transmissions.

---The original brakes are rod actuated mechanical brakes and entirely unsuited for any use - anywhere. You will need to adapt a hydraulic brake system.

---The body will need some modifications to use a modern V8 as the firewall will need to be recessed at least 3 inches (8cm). Mine is 5 inches (12.5cm) to clear my 5.0 Ford. When you do that you will lose the cowl mounted gas tank. You can mount a late model 4 cylinder and some V6 engines without modifying the firewall, though the floor will need to be changed to fit whatever auto transmission you use..

There are a lot more things to think about, but at least it's a few to start with.

While what you are thinking about doing is not impossible, it can get very expensive especially if you have to import many of the parts. If you are just interested in importing a body and frame, there are, I'm sure a lot of junk yard cars in Norway that can be used for parts - but you will literally be on your own to adapt those unfamiliar parts to us for your car.

Give it a lot of thought and keep posting here for ideas and help. I had a lot of help and suggestions from the members here when I was building the '31 'A' that you see in the box above.

Dave W
How did you manage to post your pics ,DAVE ? I have tried several times to post pics of my T-bucket and it always says my pics are too large. Max size is 500 x 500 pixels .
Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
VDub Shop: http://vdubshop.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:

Dave W

Thanks for all the information! The first problem i will have with a custom frame is that the car will not be street legal in Norway. To get the car registered i will have to use stock parts (except for engine, trans, axles, electrical and such). What i have heard is that the Frame and Body needs to be stock. But i will talk to my local dmv to get more information on the subject.

I will post an update after i've done this.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
How did you manage to post your pics ,DAVE ? I have tried several times to post pics of my T-bucket and it always says my pics are too large. Max size is 500 x 500 pixels .
The best way to post photos is to use Photobucket rather then try to downsize and post from your computer. It's a free service but there are a couple of disadvantages. If you change or remove a picture from there, it gets removed from the post.

http://photobucket.com

Here's one that I know is in the 2500mb range (and also for Norway John ) It's been resized correctly for the site:

Dave W
Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchr82
Thanks for all the information! The first problem i will have with a custom frame is that the car will not be street legal in Norway. To get the car registered i will have to use stock parts (except for engine, trans, axles, electrical and such). What i have heard is that the Frame and Body needs to be stock. But i will talk to my local dmv to get more information on the subject.

I will post an update after i've done this.
Definitely talk to the local DMV . There is a lot of erroneous information here in the states also . Varies a lot state to state .
Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
The best way to post photos is to use Photobucket rather then try to downsize and post from your computer. It's a free service but there are a couple of disadvantages. If you change or remove a picture from there, it gets removed from the post.

http://photobucket.com

Here's one that I know is in the 2500mb range (and also for Norway John ) It's been resized correctly for the site:

Dave W
Thanks a lot Dave. I transferred 5 photos of my t-bucket to photobucket , Now just have to see how to get it on here .
Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:

Just do a copy and paste of the link and guys can click on the link..also since I do not have any of the nice photo editing software I found that I can open the folder in windows of the pictures and select e-mail picture and windows will automatically resize the picture to something suitable for the web..then e-mail it to yourself and select save attachment and then the pic is on your hard drive ready to be posted here..

Sam
Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Just do a copy and paste of the link and guys can click on the link..also since I do not have any of the nice photo editing software I found that I can open the folder in windows of the pictures and select e-mail picture and windows will automatically resize the picture to something suitable for the web..then e-mail it to yourself and select save attachment and then the pic is on your hard drive ready to be posted here..

Sam
I have tried 3 different ways to transfer my photos with no succcess . GRRRRR
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:

OK - Sam can make his way work, but I found Photobucket much easier.

Since you have the Photobucket account, go about it this way:

1 - choose your album and open it
2 - Click on the photo you choose to enlarge the picture
3 - To the left of the photo in a box there will be a statement that says IMG Code. Click on it and it should say 'copied' in yellow. If not, right click 'copy.
4 - Go to the forum and right click 'paste' and your T-bucket picture should appear like this:

Dave W
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

3 - To the left of the photo in a box there will be a statement that says IMG Code. Click on it and it should say 'copied' in yellow. If not, right click 'copy.
4 - Go to the forum and right click 'paste' and your T-bucket picture should appear like this:

If you delete or move your photo, it will either delete or show a different one on the forum
Dave W
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:

If you delete or move your photo, it will either delete or show a different one on the forum
Dave W
Dave , I did exactly as you described and this is what I get :Error - cannot find an image at the specified URL. Please make sure that you have entered a valid URL.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM

I have no idea what is happening at this point - every full size photo that I've ever posted here has been as I wrote out above.

Here's another. Since I can again get into the site, all I did was open the picture(cartoon) to enlarge, go into the share this image box, click on the IMG Code box. A yellow note came up that it was copied. I then came over here and dropped it down:

If you close the window that Photobucket is in, it might dump your copy. You probably need to have two open at the same time, Hot Rodders and Photobucket, to do the copy/paste - but that's just a guess

Dave W
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
I have no idea what is happening at this point - every full size photo that I've ever posted here has been as I wrote out above.

Here's another. Since I can again get into the site, all I did was open the picture(cartoon) to enlarge, go into the share this image box, click on the IMG Code box. A yellow note came up that it was copied. I then came over here and dropped it down:

If you close the window that Photobucket is in, it might dump your copy. You probably need to have two open at the same time, Hot Rodders and Photobucket, to do the copy/paste - but that's just a guess

Dave W
I don't know what to think I kept both windows open everytime I tried it . Oh well

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.