Ford Model A Rodding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM
VDub Shop: http://vdubshop.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Model A Rodding

I am thinking about getting a Model A for a Rod project. I am also wondering what the best donor car would be? I have heard that i can take the engine (smallblock), trans, driveshaft, rear axle and other parts from a 19681979 Chevrolet Nova without doing a lot of modifications such as shortening the rear axle etc.

But is there any alternative cars out there? The novas are getting more and more popular amongst pro-street builders and therefor the prices goes up.

Anyhow.. the biggest reason i am looking for alternatives is because the chevy nova is a fairely rare car here in Norway and you cant get one here that isnt either restored or rebuilt.

So.. Alternatives anyone? the longer the list, the happier i will be lol..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchr82
Anyhow.. the biggest reason i am looking for alternatives is because the chevy nova is a fairely rare car here in Norway and you cant get one here that isnt either restored or rebuilt..
Are you hiding an abundance of model "A"'s in Norway? I would think that they would be harder to find than an un-restored Nova.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Are you hiding an abundance of model "A"'s in Norway? I would think that they would be harder to find than an un-restored Nova.
No.. The Model A will be imported from the us.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Looks like you are going to have a major project. Assuming that you export a Ford Model A to Norway you should probably export the rest of the materials as well. I would not use the Nova drive line but would probably use either a Ford 8" differential from a '70's Maverick or Comet. Some Mustangs used that width as well and even some Pinto wagons. A '57-'59 Ford used a very narrow 9" that will work as well. A small block Ford or Chevy engine will fit just fine with the Ford being a bit smaller and lighter though a Chevy will fit easily. The Ford C4 or early AOD or a Chevy TH350 or 400 will work fine depending on your engine choice.

Dave W
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

You dont need the whole car. Just get and sbc, chevy tranny, and any rear end you want. It would be a waste to buy the whole car if you just need basic parts that you could get of ebay and what not.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Looks like you are going to have a major project. Assuming that you export a Ford Model A to Norway you should probably export the rest of the materials as well. I would not use the Nova drive line but would probably use either a Ford 8" differential from a '70's Maverick or Comet. Some Mustangs used that width as well and even some Pinto wagons. A '57-'59 Ford used a very narrow 9" that will work as well. A small block Ford or Chevy engine will fit just fine with the Ford being a bit smaller and lighter though a Chevy will fit easily. The Ford C4 or early AOD or a Chevy TH350 or 400 will work fine depending on your engine choice.

Dave W
hopefully it wont be a major project, in fact am trying to make it as little as possible

So say that i use a chevy 350 Smallblock and a TH350, then a Ford '70's Maverick or Comet 8" drivetrain. Would the driveshaft from the maverick/comet work without any modifications?

Oh.. when you say drivetrain you mean the whole rear axle right?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
You dont need the whole car. Just get and sbc, chevy tranny, and any rear end you want. It would be a waste to buy the whole car if you just need basic parts that you could get of ebay and what not.
Thanks man! I was hoping that i could import only the parts needed, because importing an entire car costs a little under $2000. I think i can get the fuel pump, starter and all the other small parts from a norwegian "american car" company.

Am looking at dvap.com now for the parts that i would need, but i guess ebay is also a choice.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
hopefully it wont be a major project, in fact am trying to make it as little as possible

So say that i use a chevy 350 Smallblock and a TH350, then a Ford '70's Maverick or Comet 8" drivetrain. Would the driveshaft from the maverick/comet work without any modifications?

Oh.. when you say drivetrain you mean the whole rear axle right?
It will be a major project!!!!! If you use a Model A Ford and install later components in place of the original, it's a big, long term project. The drive train is usually the engine transmission and complete rear axle assembly. Some Mavericks and Comets had a SB Ford 289 or 302 where you could use the entire drive line.

The rear axle will have to be converted to either a coil over suspension or to something close to the original Model 'A'. There can be chassis mods as well for that.

You will have to add hydraulic brakes in the front of the chassis, new steering and possibly a new front suspension.

I guess I really don't know where want to go with this or how much back ground you have with street rodding but we can work with you. It almost sounds like you need to plan a trip to the US this spring or summer and look at either donor cars, partially completed or completed cars and use that as your hot rod.

This is my aftermarket chassis, a TCI and about completed in this photo. It has a SB Ford, C4 transmission and a '57 Ford rear assembly plus a specially made driveshaft. Yes, I have a lot of chrome, aluminum and stainless steel, plus modified for a '32 Ford gas tank but that's all optional and at a lot of added cost:

Dave w
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

A donor car

I bought My Model A roadster as an unfinished rolling project. The guy started with a Maverick -comet V 8 auto as the donor for most of the parts. I thought I would Just freshen up the engine and get it driving but the trans also needs rebuilt and I don't like the way he set up the chassis. I found a good frame a hundred miles away bu the guy didn't want to sell it. He has about 40 cars parked in on his farm.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I found a good frame a hundred miles away bu the guy didn't want to sell it. He has about 40 cars parked in on his farm.
Another example of "auto hoarding".

And don't forget the upgrade to a 12 V system (lights, gauges, wiring, and so on).
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I found a good frame a hundred miles away bu the guy didn't want to sell it. He has about 40 cars parked in on his farm.
Model A frames are pretty easy to find ...

I sold this one for 14 hundred ... and it was a running, driving deal a few weeks before the photo. Needed the body for a HOT ROD project.

I would suggest just buying a jig built Model A frame ...

NEW METAL, boxed and dimensionally square.
All for not a LOT more than the price of the steel.
Model A frames are simple.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Thanks man! I was hoping that i could import only the parts needed,
I would investigate buying a rolling chassis.
The street rod world has a good number of Model A chassis builders because they are so simple to make.

Some box tubing, a frame jig and a little talent is all that is really necessary.

You have order the chassis set up for the engine and transmission you want to run ... with the steering box of your choice.

Progressive Automotive, TCI, Brookville and others ... make decent frames.

This frame ( NEW ) is available for only $700.00 ( Brookville )
Others have similar pricing. TCI and others sell complete chassis also
Go here to see a few

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg41-42.pdf

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info guys! Guess i have to read a few books on this subject and go to a few autoshows to see how other people have done theirs.

Deuce: An aftermarked frame and or body is street-illegal in norway. It has to be registered when its stock and original (frame and body), then you can start to modify stuff on it. The rules are lame, but they are still there
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

new is easier.

the welded brookville frame looks good , and is priced right. By the time it would take talking to the guy trying to convince him to sell it. taking a day trip to go get it , sandblast, buy and weld in the boxing plates . Deuce you convinced me. My roadster is full fendered. I plan on keeping that way, probably use the original fender and running board brackets. sell the old chassis to someone for a rat rod. I've already got an 8 in rear end out of a mustang, and a couple mustang 8.8 disc rears, 46 lincoln front axle with the brakes. 40 front axle. convered to mustang disc. SBC Ford and Chevy engines Just have to decide what to use.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

donor car

if you can find an english rover v8 the engine and trans fit with no firewall mods, you will have to run an electric water pump through a modified standard pump, have this combo in an a tourer and runs great on unleaded petrol, no engine mods required. engine same as buick so aftermarket manifolds and parts are readily available

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.