FORD MOTOR IDENTIFACATION - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2002, 01:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post FORD MOTOR IDENTIFACATION

I HAVE A 1977 FORD F250 AND IT HAS A MOTOR AND IM NOT SURE WHAT SIZE THE MOTOR IS ARE IF IT IS THE ORIGINAL MOTOR I GOT THE HEAD CASTING NUMBERS THEY ARE C8VE-C (I DO BELIEVE) HEAD GASKETS WERE JUST CHANGED AND THEY WERE 429 GASKETS MY MECHANIC SAYS ITS A 429 PUNCHED OUT 40 OVER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS A 429 ARE 460 AND THE APP. VALUE I AM THINKING OF SELLING IT CAN SOME ONE HELP ME WITH THE TYPE AND SIZE AND WHAT IT IS ORIGINALLY FROM PLEASE ... THANK YOU I APPRICIATED IT!
P.S. IT GOES LIKE HELL!

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: FORD429F250 ]</p>

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 09:54 PM

The 'C' stands for decade, in this case it's the 60's. 'D' would be for the 70's. The next numeral '8' is for the year. So now you know your heads are of the year 1968. The 'V' is the designator given to all 429/460 engines primarily because the where put into Lincoln cars at the factory. The 'E' designator means it's from an engine, which is a given. The next thing u must do is to crawl under the engine and look on the passenger side of the block. Towards the rear to middle of the block on the passenger side will be a casting number either the same or very close to the one on the heads. You will need this casting number also to be sure of the correct year the block was made. All 429/460 engines have seven '7' valve cover bolts. According to what we have found out so far, is that your engine has 1968 heads. 1968 was the first year the 429/460 was made. Sorry, no 'CJ' Cobra Jet or 'SCJ' Super Cobra Jet' for you. However, this motor still has a lot of horsepower, a lot. I have a 1970 460 with 1973 460 heads in my 1979 F-150. Just put it in their three months ago. It really moves. You can email me at kwyoung@ndak.net with your other questions if you like or with the other casting number. Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

The only way you can tell the difference in the 429/460 is internally. The casting number is only gonna tell you the year. The 460 has a 3.85" stroke, and the 429 has 3.59". They both have the same bore of 4.36", but punched 0.040 would make the bore 4.40".

I thought there was some way of sticking a dowel in the spark plug hole and measuring the stroke. Maybe one of these guys can explain that one.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:36 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

C= 1960'S
8= 1968
V= Lincoln
E= Engine Group

The 429/460 385 Series came out in 1968 to replace the MEL 430 in the Lincoln line and the 390/410 in the FORD/MERC line.

The 460 went to the LINC Division...The 429 to the FORD/MERC Divisions.

The casting numbers on the cylinder heads have little meaning for series identification as they were most likely used on both engines for multiple manufacturing years.

You have two choices to identify the CID;
[*] Tear the engine down as has been mentioned;
[*] Use a dowel in an open spark plug hole (as has been mentioned) and measure the distance it travels as you turn the crank from BDC to TDC.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 08-23-2002, 11:27 AM

IM NOT ABLE TO FIND A CASTING NUMBER ON THE BLOCK I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS A 460 HOW COME MY MECHANIC PUT 429 HEAD GASKETS IN IT?? AND IF IT IS A 460 LINCOLN IF ANY ONE KNOW'S THE APPROXIMATE VALUE?? THANK YOU FOR YOU R TIME IT HAS HELP ALOT L8ER
Old 08-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

Like KULTULZ said, the heads are interchangeable between the 429/460. The ONLY physical difference in the 429/460 is the crank. The C8VE, C9VE, and the infamous D0VE heads, are high compression heads at 10.5:1.

As for the value, it depends on how bad someone wants it I guess. I know a few Bronco guys looking for these big blocks to put in their Broncos.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:27 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

The Casting I.D. No. and casting date should be located on the oil pan rail behind the starter motor. But this will not be decisive either.

The only difference will be the stroke, as has been stated before.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:03 PM

The value is up to how bad the buyer wants it. If it runs decent $300-500. If it runs like brand new, up to $800. I paid $50 for mine out of an old ford galaxy that still ran, so getting any big money out of it is probably not going to happen unless they are stupid, need it real bad, or cannot find any other 429/460 engines. Bill. How much do u want for it?
Old 08-23-2002, 10:21 PM

IM NOT SURE HOW MUCH I WANT FOR IT... IM NOT THE BEST WITH THIS **** IT IS PROPANE RIOGHT NOW BUT ITZ PUTTING OUT 344HP SO MY MECHANIC SAYS AND THAT IS ALOT FOR A PROPANE MOTOR AND THE GAS IS ALOT CHEAPER MY MECHANIC OFFERED ME 5000$ FOR IT I SAID NO BECAUSE I WANTED TO RESEARCH IT A BIT BUT I ALSO LIVE IN BC SO YEH I DONT KNOW

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.