Ford Muscle..what's wrong with them? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Tazz

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Muscle..what's wrong with them?

Why is it people turn up their noses at Ford muscle car's? I just sold a POS 64 Chevelle bare shell easy but people that come look at my 69 Torino GT don't see the potential? I know there are parts out there to fix up the Ford products, maybe not as much as for Chevy's but I don't understand the problem...I wish I lived down south..MOPAR country...just try and find clean parts for a Super Bee in Ohio!!

Tazz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

you have to remember, not everyone is as smart as we are.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:10 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

personly, i love the ford options just as much as the chevy options, especialy because everyone expects an old chevelle to have a big block with insane hp, but an old ford is "just an old ford"

all the better for surprising th occasional challanger on the street (not that i ever excede posted limits on the street, of course)
Old 12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think that is just a case of the numbers.......If it's not a 5 litre Mustang, it seems just to be a Ford that people don't want. People can't see past their nose...............My ex brother in law had a 69 CJ Torino that I would love to have today.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I had a 68 Torino ...
It was originally a 302, but I yanked that and replaced it with a 351C.
That car was tons of fun, and used to cause a lot of surprises.
I wish I still had it.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!

don't let everybody in on this...i got a couple more project cars i need to buy.
Hot Rod magazine (along with many others) got everybody into the Chevy is best thing in the 60's & 70's,,,hell.all i had in nigh school was big block chevy's (except for my 69 350 ss nova) and olds 442's. Then i saw the light...been in a ford since the early 80's....guess it's just a matter of what people like. As long as they dont drive up the old ford prices too much, i guess i won't complain. As for the 5.0 thing....you can buy stuff to make ridiculous amounts of horsepower cheap anymore. Can't wait to get the 306 done for my 46 pickup
Old 12-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I like the old Fords, Fairlaines, Galaxies, Crown Vic's and all the rest. I'd take a mid 50's Ford car over a Tri 5 Chevy any day, because parts are less expensive and more affordable cars as builders. When I'm at a carshow, I look past the Camero's, Nova's and Chevelles, only Chevy's I look at are Tri 5's, the trucks, '58-'61 cars and basicly '32-'54 Chevy cars, but if I see a nicely done ford Muscle car, I won't hesitate to stop and look.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

mustard or mayonaise ?
wheat or white bread ?
chocolate or vanilla ice cream ?
blonde or brunette ?
curvey or thin ?

Most things in life are determined by early age experiences and peer pressure. Look at some of the most popular Chevy models today. They are ugly, but popular now,,, even when new, Ford outsold Chevy hands down.

There is supercharger whine, blower belt whine, gear drive whine,

The Chevy whine sounds like this......
"My big block 502 with a 200 nitros shot will kick your 302's a++."
(well 7734, it better)

I can steer you to threads on this site with pages and pages of entries and thousands of viewings..... and over and over the same thing appears.....
Chevy guys will not run you apples to apples... period.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Chevy guys will not run you apples to apples... period.
Oh, come on.......................the subject of the thread is not about that ...it's completly different.

and BTW, that is CRAP.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

If everybody on these threads stuck to the topic of the initial post......

quote...."Why is it people turn up their noses at Ford muscle car's?"......

there wouldn't be much happening, would there? LOL

BTW if you think that Chevy/Ford war stuff is C===... you haven't been reading treads on this and other sites. Numerous times they want to run their LT4s or LS1 (346) against the two valve 4.6 (281) and if you mention blower they squeel like pigs about being "unfair". LOL

Hey, bring your 283 and run my 4.6 Mustang 2 valve.... NA vs. NA or maybe we can find a SBF 289 somewhere...
Or do you want to do your SBC 406 against my SBF 408 ?

I have a poor little 5.0 lots of 454 guys won't run.. period....Well. one did...... LOL

Chevy guys...... LOL LOL .......

Last edited by xntrik; 12-27-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I know exactly what you mean... some cars just don't bring the cash anymore. Its good for the buyer. I just snagged a 74 Maverick with a 302/C4 and someone has already done a 9" swap for me Total cost? $150 !! But there is nothing wrong with Fords, its just the market. I remember when Mopars wouldn't sell and now the sun is shining on them. Ford will have its day, and I hope its about the time I'm ready to sell that 74 Mav
Old 12-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hold onto that Ford, it will have its run at popularity before long. As soon as people see one go for big bucks and think they are all worth big bucks, they will beat a path to your door. You couldn't give away late 60-early 70s Mopars a few years back, now a couple go through Barrett/Jackson for crazy money and the explosion has hit the fan. There are a handful of Torinos around here, they gather a lot of attention as you just don't see many around. I like the Chevys but will sidestep them at a show to check out the cars you just don't see everyday.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

Chevy vs Ford

This debate has been going on ever since Louis Chevrolet jumped ship and started building his own cars. Yep, Chevrolet got his start building Ford equipment.
Being a Ford man, I have looked at the history of this battle and what market whims seem to control it.
Over the years, Ford as a manufacturer, has made some poor company policy decisions.
Probably first and foremost would be in not updating or upgrading the venerable Flathead V-8 to an OHV engine, when the technology was first available and reasonable to do. When many of the other manufacturers were developing OHV engines, like Oldsmobile and Buick, Ford continued to hang in there with the flathead in all of its production lines, until the early 50's. Aslo, on this point, Chevy had a lot of years experience in production of OHV 6 cylinder engines before going to a V-8. By the time Ford decided to produce a modern V-8, these OHV 6 cylinder engines were capable of holding their own with the flatheads.
With the replacement of the Flathead by the Y block, Ford opted to go with a more mundane design engine that was supposedly meant more for durability rather than get up and go.
Chevrolet, in the early 50's opted to get involved in the hi performance market, and started mass producing these parts at high numbers, while Ford did little for its performance image, and when you wanted factory performance parts, you either had to be someone of note, or have deep wallet, as most of Fords R & D was done by the aftermarket segment of the business, rather than in house. That being said, what few parts that were or are available from Ford, do a fantastic job of what they are intended to do.
Due to the proliferation of after market parts for chevy, and this falls back on Fords poor management policies of the past, the cost of building a Chevy engine has in the past been a great deal less than for a Ford. Since Chevy unabashedly supported the performance image, and with the advent of the SBC, and there being no compareable engines being produced by Ford, the aftermarket manufacurers went where the gold was; SBC's.
This inequity of cost has been greatly reduced in the past 10-15 yrs.
On proliferation, there are a kazillion SBC's out there, just looking for a new home, and a majority of parts are interchangeable. Unfortunately, this cannot be said of all Ford engines. The knowledge of Ford interchangeablilty takes some study, to become an "expert" on what parts will work on what.
In the early 70's when the smog war started, Ford opted to stay with the 351W rather than the Cleveland block, due mostly I think to ease of production, and the 351W was less of a smog producer. The Winsor head has some serious breathing problems, which limits what one can do with a production head. While there have been produced over the years, a few Winsor heads that have superior breathing capabilities over other production engines, even these pale in comparison to what is being now produced by the aftermarket segment.
I dare say, that had Ford opted to have produced a hybrid engine, much like the "Clevor's" of the late 70's and up, the story may well have been different now. Personally, Ive never understood why Ford opted to go with a new block rather than having stroked out the 302 to a larger displacement. Or cast that block with slightly larger bore capabilities as well. It seems that Ford got stuck in the mud with the 4 inch bore.
That being said, Ive often wondered why Ford didnt stroke out the 351W or Cleveland, themselves.
My personal choice to stick with Fords is that is what I grew up with, and having always been one for doing things a bit different than the clones out there.
Having blown the doors off of too many Chevy powered cars to count, its never ceased to amaze me at the excuses the "Babbitheads" come up with for reasons why they got shut down by a junky old Ford, and vertually all the time, by one that had both a displacement and equipment disadvantage to start with.
A large part of the Chevy popularity vs Ford, comes from the magazine articles Ive seen written, and the preferential treatment the Chevy engines have always gotten by said publications.
To wit, whenever Ive read a side by side comparo test of a 350 vs 351W, dyno test, it seems that the Chevy engine has always had something to ensure it would come out the top dog. IE: a bit higher compression, slightly larger cam, slightly bigger carb, etc etc etc. I have never seen in Hot Rod, or any of the magazines, an honest part for part comparison test.
Show me a comparison test between a 350 and 351W with both running compareable equipment. Say both engines running the same compression, Twisted Wedge heads, same cam profile, carb, intake model, exhaust, etc.
As for big blocks, while they are built in large quantity, they dont enjoy the popularity they did back 30-40 yrs. ago. That being said, a lot of the speed equipment for them, both the 454 and 460 is a trickle down thing. If a particular cam design or intake design works well on the smaller engines, then its just reproduced in the big block varieties. The R & D for the big blocks just isnt there like it is for the smaller engines, in either brand.
One thing of note, there is a super modified class of racing cars, predominately run on the east coast, that limits the cars exclusively to the BBC. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that will all else being equal, they couldnt hang with a BBF?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Last photo:

Why do you guys participate in such childish posts?

Vince
Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Max has some good points when it comes to the history....Bad desisions by the manufacturers........................just like GM is doing today...They don't care about performance any more, and that may be their downfall.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.