Ford Pinto - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Pinto

I think that I ran into a pretty good deal last night.My uncle has an old Ford Pinto that he was going to fix up to play around with.It's either a 1973 or 1974.Anyway,it has the original 4 cylinder and 4 speed transmission.He offered it to me for $150.I just saw it last night in the dark,but I'm going back tomorrow to check it out before I decide to buy it.Just last weekend,I bought a 1977 F-100 Custom with a 302 and a 4 speed transmission from my future step-mom for $200.It ran like a new one and it had brand new Buckshot mudders on the back.Night before last,a buddy of mine helped me take out the engine and transmission.Now I have a nice running 302 sitting on an engine stand in my garage,just waiting to go in something to have a little fun with.I think that Pinto will be a fun little project to play with,especially with that 302 in it .Anyway,does anyone know where I can get some information or to get a kit to stick in that 302?I was actually thinking about going with a C4 or an AOD transmission,as I plan to take it to the strip now and then .Anyway,if anyone could let me know something about this swap,please do.Thanks a million!

Nightrain

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2003, 10:50 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Love them small cars with big engines.
Anyway. Get on Yahoo search and type in pinto. It will pull up some sites that people have put in. Also try www.Egroups.com They probably have clubs for Pinto's on there. Last, heres a Guys Yahoo messenger handle that has a very nice pinto. Message him and ask him about his car and website. Goodluck. Hg
His Yahoo handle is pintorick

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 11-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks HG.You still got that Gremmie?It's about the same as a Pinto,except it's made by AMC right?

Nightrain
Old 11-27-2003, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

Righto.
Only big diff is the Gremlin did come out with V8's in em, so it makes the conversion a little mor feesible, but its still some work with a bowtie engine.
Let me know what ya figure out. HG

This looks like a lively group on Egroups. Check it out. HG
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_1020714//Yahoo!+Photo+Album/72pinto---1.jpg?gr1l9x_Aaz7eY7gn

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]

Last edited by HemmiGremmie; 11-27-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Nightrain - sounds like a great project. However, don't forget about the fuel tank in that Pinto. Don't want history to come back and burn ya.
Dutch
Old 11-27-2003, 06:41 PM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman
Nightrain - sounds like a great project. However, don't forget about the fuel tank in that Pinto. Don't want history to come back and burn ya.
Dutch

GROAN!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:52 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

If you're talking about it's small capacity,I've got a solution for that..a 16 gallon fuel cell .That's all that I can figure out that you're talking about.Anyway,I'm going to look at the Pinto Bean tomorrow.I'll get back with you guys on how it went.

Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone!!!

Nightrain

Oh yeah..I forgot.

I've been hanging out on some Pinto Message Forums and it seems that everyone uses Mustang II engine mounts.They said that they fit pretty well for the 302.They also used C4's.They said that's about the only thing that works without tearing up the firewall.Anyway,it seems like everything is pretty well out there,but it's gonna be a little harder to find because this isn't a "practical" swap.

Nightrain

Last edited by nightrain_rod; 11-27-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

Nightrain, If you send me your address I can send you a small book that has some partnumbers and a different way of mounting the 302 in the Pinto. Its the same one they sell on EBAY for 10 bucks. I will not be using it as I'm going a bit to the right with my project.

Here are a couple good lists with alot of info

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...clubofamerica/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pinto/
http://www.bob2000.com/pinto.htm

My E mail address is vincel@mindspring.com. I will have it in the mail to you ASAP!

The 74 and later is the one to get for mods. They have a bit bigger engine compartment and better front suspension with more options for bigger brakes.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks Pinto_Guy!

I'll e-mail you here in the next few minutes.My uncle said that it was either a 1973 or 1974.He couldn't remember right off.I'm suppose to be going to look at it this afternoon.Maybe everything will go good and I can have me a nice winter project to play with .Anyway,there are alot of pictures of V8 Pintos out there.What do you do for headers though?I'm pretty sure that a custom-made set is what you'd have to have,correct?Or,can I use headers from a SBF Ford Maverick?

Anyway,thanks for the info.I'll e-mail you soon.

Nightrain
Old 11-28-2003, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

If you can find them the cast manifolds from the Mustang 2 work. Headers are a pain to fit in the Pinto.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Yeah,I figured that they'd be a pain in the butt.I guess that it's just something that I'll have to mess with to figure out.If I get this Pinto,when I remove the 2.0L,I'll ease that 302 down in it and do some experimenting.Surely there is some aftermarket header out there that will work,but there might not be.What's the biggest thing that gets in the way?The steering box?

Nightrain
Old 11-28-2003, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Try some block huggers. They make some thats really short. On my Gremlin, I can use that or I can use the kind of headers that exit out twords the back of the firewall. HG

Old 11-28-2003, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Mustang 2 headers kinda work. There is no steering box on the Pinto. Its a rack and pinon. The 71-73 had a Flexable shaft that connected the rack to the steering shaft. that was a good thing for putting the 302 in such a small hole.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks again fellas.Yeah HG,I looked into a set of Ford Motorsport "block huggers".I will probably start out with those.I'll check into MII Headers also.When I get out of high school and go to NADC,I'll probably rebuild the 302 and make a 347 Stroker out of it if the little Pinto lasts that long.I've only got 4 more years till then anyway .

Nightrain
Old 11-28-2003, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

I'll have to cruise the Gremlin down to see it when its done. HG
P.S. Post some pics for us.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.