Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford Rear End

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  66GMC 
#1 ·
I have a ford truck rear end,tag has WDM-A1 OBB 3.50 8.7 318A can someone decode this tag . Or a least tell me what year truck rear end came out of. Thanks

#2 ·
Kenrods said:
I have a ford truck rear end,tag has WDM-A1 OBB 3.50 8.7 318A can someone decode this tag . Or a least tell me what year truck rear end came out of. Thanks

I couldn't find WDM-A1 on the net.

it says it is a 3.50 non posi (posi would say 3L50, L for limited slip)

8.7 is the ring gear diameter..... I think the only 8.7s were used in 78-80 and I think in cars only. If it is a truck the spring pads will be on the top of the axle housing. If a car, the pads will be on the bottom of the housing.

318A is 31 day of A= January (B= Feb. etc., no "I" used by Ford, ever) ...... year of decade "8"

so probably 1978

If it is that 8.7 then it is an abortion that has no parts support and no gear availability..... If it is an 8.7 Dump it for an 8" from a Maverick or a Granada or a 9".

#4 ·
Fordification says WDM-AD is a 9 inch with 28-spline axles 63-71 F100. 28 spline axles were common on cars (eg Mustang, Fairlane, Torino... etc) as well, where most of the "newer" trucks were 31-spline.

As xntric has pointed out, the tag info that you supplied says it's an 8.7" diameter, which I thought had a "WER" prefix. They had a non-removable carrier with a cover on the back.

#6 · (Edited)
66GMC said:
Fordification says WDM-AD is a 9 inch with 28-spline axles 63-71 F100. 28 spline axles were common on cars (eg Mustang, Fairlane, Torino... etc) as well, where most of the "newer" trucks were 31-spline.

As xntric has pointed out, the tag info that you supplied says it's an 8.7" diameter, which I thought had a "WER" prefix. They had a non-removable carrier with a cover on the back.
If I can find the 2 months ago thread about the 8.7 and 8.8 (different rear pan shape) that says an 8.8 was not used in the late 70s....... Eaton says Ford started using the 8.8 in 79 model year. I still swear I had a 79-80 Monarch (Granada) that had an 8.8 on leaf springs.

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod5.htm

Kenrods, does yours have a tin cover on the back or is it a removable chunk?

#9 ·
xntrik said:
If I can find the 2 months ago thread about the 8.7 and 8.8 (different rear pan shape) that says an 8.8 was not used in the late 70s....... Eaton says Ford started using the 8.8 in 79 model year. I still swear I had a 79-80 Monarch (Granada) that had an 8.8 on leaf springs.

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod5.htm

Kenrods, does yours have a tin cover on the back or is it a removable chunk?
It is removable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.