Ford rear end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford rear end

Does anybody know the difference between dually rear end and single wheel rear in a 97 F350? My buddy has a single wheel rear truck with a tool body on it and wants to run dual rear tires. I thought it was in the wheel configuration and he says its not.Does anybody know?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The dual wheel rear end is wider. You would need spacers to use dual wheels on a single wheel rear end.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

The dually rearend is usually larger and heavier duty. The difference is the amount of lugs on the axle. dually's come with 8 lugs and single's generally come with 5 or 6 lug's. I have seen dually conversions in some catalogs with an adapter and/or rims providing you have enough clearance under the fender wells. I think it was JC Whitney.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
The dually rearend is usually larger and heavier duty. The difference is the amount of lugs on the axle. dually's come with 8 lugs and single's generally come with 5 or 6 lug's. I have seen dually conversions in some catalogs with an adapter and/or rims providing you have enough clearance under the fender wells. I think it was JC Whitney.
Don't know that lug count has a lot to do with it being a dual or not, granted most duals are 8 lug but there are many many single wheel 3/4 and one ton trucks out there with 8 lugs I guess the length answer was what I was looking for.Currently he has spacers and is having issues with them staying secure.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

The flanges for the backing plates are set further inboard on the DRW since the drum is deeper. On a F350 both SRW and DRW will be 8 lug.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If you don't go the adapter route I guess your next option would be get a 1 ton dually rear end off a ford. Right now I have a 1 ton dually rear end in my chevy with a single 8 lug rim. If I wanted duals, I would have to tub the bed for them to fit because I have a 3/4 ton truck with a pick up bed and then, I would run into issues with the outer tire sticking out of the fender wells.
Might not be an issue with the utility bed on your buddy's truck though.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The housings are the same. The lug pattern, SRW/DRW is 8, but the SRW has a 9/16 dia lug, the DRW, has a 5/8(or 3/4). The early F350 had a 1.062 nut across the flats, the current - 13/16. The DRW lugs are much longer to fit the double set of wheel web thickness. The drums/rotors are different.

This is a better site for those kinds of questions: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Yes, I have and have had for years, on and off, F350s (as well as 150s and 250s) as seen here :

Dave W
Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

So if i hear Ireland right would it be as simple as new set of drums with longer studs?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCMudbogger
So if i hear Ireland right would it be as simple as new set of drums with longer studs?
.....uhhhhh, not quite THAT easy, but that's the gist.

Of course there are the special fenders, innner wells, wheels, tires, machining the hubs for the longer and bigger diameter lugs

Why screw around - there are complete rear's available - even Chebbies and Dodges would work with spring perch mods
Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCMudbogger
No! Just changing the drums won't work. The backing plate flanges are set further in on a DRW. The flanges would have to be moved also.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

The Whitney dual adapters are junk. They are not rated for even a single tire load. I have Arrow dual adapters on my F350, no drama after 6 years on this truck, and 18 years on the previous truck. The Arrow adapter is piloted on the hub, so nothing can loosen up. They are not cheap, the adapters are $600 for a rear axle without fenders. They do come with new lug nuts and instructions for installing them. I have has as much as 12,000 lbs on this truck for short distances, and they have never come loose.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.