Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford rearend axle tag ID codes posted...

79K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just posted a project I've been working on for a little while, which is what is undoubtedly the largest and most-complete listing of Ford rear axle ID codes posted anywhere on the internet. The listing has more than 2900 axle ID codes and covers virtually EVERY rear-wheel-drive differential in every Ford car, light truck, van and SUV from 1963 through 2001.

Page 01 - WBG-E thru WCN-L
Page 02 - WCN-M thru WDC-Z
Page 03 - WDD-B thru WDN-DR
Page 04 - WDM-E thru WDX-R
Page 05 - WDY-A thru WEG-S
Page 06 - WEM-A thru WFB-M
Page 07 - WFC-A thru WFF-C
Page 08 - WFG-A thru WFZ-J1
Page 09 - WGA-A thru WGZ-E
Page 10 - C001-A thru D070-A and S107G thru S156H
Page 11 - S157B thru S335C
Page 12 - S336A thru S405-E
Page 13 - S406-B thru S668H
Page 14 - S672A thru S829F
Page 15 - S832E thru SPM747-C
Page 16 - V012-A thru V052-B
Page 17 - V106A thru V497-B

Have fun! :thumbup:

See less See more
#4 ·
Do you know if Dana rear ends in Fords had a different code sequence. The tag on mine is VERY rusted so quite difficult to read...but I'm finding nothing on it resembling any of the codes in this collection.

This is pretty much an educated guess at the tag code

Line one:

2.72EO - D??[*] [*]3[*]

Line two

751738 - 2 M??

Where I've inserted the [*] notation there is what appears to be either a symbol shaped line an "A" or an actual "A"

This doesn't look at all like the tag on my Ford 9" or the "example" tags that are shown in the links above.

Wish I could be more definitive but tags up here in WI get destroyed by road salt and this one just doesn't have much left to go on.

#5 ·
CBoy:
Ford had their own ID tags, which included the DANA "Bill of Materials" (BOM)number on the second line. This tag was usually secured vertically on the LH side of the diff cover by two bolts. There was usually a triangle which preceeded the BOM #. Perhaps the BOM# will also be stamped on the tube as per the illustration at the bottom of this page:
Dana Axle ID Locations

Once you have the BOM # ... have a look at DANA's website for a parts list.

I couldn't find any BOM#'s that started with "75" either.

What is that axle out of?
Is it one of those DANA 44's that were used on the rear of early (up to about 79 or 80) F100 / F150's?

The "2.72 E0__" on line one would indicate a 2.72 ratio and 1980 model year?

There are also complete PDF catalogs on that DANA site as well.

#6 ·
66GMC said:
What is that axle out of?
Is it one of those DANA 44's that were used on the rear of early (up to about 79 or 80) F100 / F150's?
Yes, it came out of a '79 F-150. I think the triangles you mentioned are the "A" notations that I noted in my post. They look more like triangles than letters.

And thanks for all the links and info. I'll do some searching on those sites to see if I can make better sense of what's left of the tag.

#7 ·
Thanks again for the info 66GMC. The BOM # does not appear on the tag and I can find no trace of it on the axle tubes or housing. HOWEVER, using the Dana PDF link you provided I was able to trace everything backwards. There was only one BOM used for the 79 F-150 Dana 44 rear axle so I now have all the numbers etc. that I need for any parts replacement etc.

#8 · (Edited)
cboy said:
Thanks again for the info 66GMC. The BOM # does not appear on the tag and I can find no trace of it on the axle tubes or housing. HOWEVER, using the Dana PDF link you provided I was able to trace everything backwards. There was only one BOM used for the 79 F-150 Dana 44 rear axle so I now have all the numbers etc. that I need for any parts replacement etc.
Well, I am glad that you found it!
It certainly wasn't where the index said that it should be!

Catalog # X510-9
The index says pp 145 -145 ... but I found it on pp 171 - 173.
I will add the BOM#'s to this thread so that it might be easier for the next guy to find. Both BOM's appear to use the same parts.

(The table below has been revised for the purposes of clarity for this discussion)

1979 F-100 & F-150
Bill of Material Diff. Type Ratio

603973-1 Standard 2.72
603973-2 Standard 2.72

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.