ford rearend installed in 1956 chevy car???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ford rearend installed in 1956 chevy car????

I have 1967 ford fairlane rearend that i would love to install it under my old chevy. I would love to have some info from all that may have taken on this kind of project before> thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

Heres how I do them. Take out the old rear end and measure the distance between the centre bolts on the rear springs (take both measurements from the left side of the bolt will give you dead centre) draw a line at this distance past the pad area directly on the spring. measure the same distance on the new rear end and grind off the welds holding the old spring pads on if they are not the same distance making sure you dont dig into the axle tube itself. Next take the Chevy spring pads off the old rear end without digging into them, tidy them up and sit them back on the spring . With help put the new rear on to the old spring pads and measure and check the distance marked before. Measure from this point to the back of the backing plate and shift the rear axle until the measurements are identical on both sides, check the position on the chassis as well . Next you need to set the angle of the diff. you need to put the car on stands under the springs at the back and lift the front end and put it on stands as well so it is level. Hire or borrow an angle guage and set the pinion to 3 degrees. recheck ALL your measurements and TACK weld one side, measure again and do the other side. Then take the whole axle to a welder who knows that you have to be careful welding the assembly so it doesn't warp. A new tailshaft, adapt the handbrake and the rear brakes making sure the wheel cylinders match your system and you are done. Easy huh !

Good Luck

Rob.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 AM

ford rearend in 56 chevy

Hey Rob, Thanks alot for the info. I'll put it to good use. BY the way, extra nice pics of your rides. I'll let you know how the installation goes when done. Thanks again jmoon2 (john)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.