Ford Six Cylinder Engine Ideas! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeer
I want to know if all the money i put in this engine will be worth it (6-month weekend project).
It'd be cheaper to build a 302/5.0... Not saying don't go for the inline 6- that's a neat idea- but don't expect to get the most power for your dollar.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

There used to be a few guys around here that raced GM inline six's at the local dirt track and raped a lot of the V8 guys. This was well before my time, but I used to date one of the guy's daughter. I've seen some of their intakes, wild stuff and really interesting designs. I'll try to get a couple pics of them if I can.

I bought a '36 Ford Tudor a while back and was considering going with a turbo 250, but I started back on the Chevelle.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
It'd be cheaper to build a 302/5.0... Not saying don't go for the inline 6- that's a neat idea- but don't expect to get the most power for your dollar.
I know plenty aboout the 302 but this is my first car to work on so im a novice compared to all you guys and i will look into it.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson72ss
There used to be a few guys around here that raced GM inline six's at the local dirt track and raped a lot of the V8 guys. This was well before my time, but I used to date one of the guy's daughter. I've seen some of their intakes, wild stuff and really interesting designs. I'll try to get a couple pics of them if I can.

I bought a '36 Ford Tudor a while back and was considering going with a turbo 250, but I started back on the Chevelle.
Pics would be lovely I have so many different ideas but I dont know where to start. I just got the Australian Aluminium Cylinder Head from classicinlines.com for the engine but there is alot more parts I need.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

my suggestion would be to shoot for 220 HP Naturally aspirated.. which if you'v read any of the tech faqs. that's pretty easy to get with the alloy cylinder head.. basicly you need to bump the compression, and you do that with the flat top pistions. once you get the compression ratio a little higher, which you can do by cutting a little off the cylinder head.. mike will know how much to cut if you ask him. he has the company leave a little extra 'meat' on the deck surface to make up 57cc chambers, but with a very light cut, they go down to 55cc, and you could go more if needed. but don't in case you ever want the engine force fed.

with 220 hp, your still going to have a lot of torque, and it'll have more power than you expect, and it will be over 200# lighter than a comparable 5.0L 302
Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Its hard to compare that to a 302 when you're looking at 220hp... a decently built 302 can double that.

IF I stayed with the 6 I would turbo it for sure, and seriously consider EFI. Those two things can turn your inline six from an embarrassment to a show piece.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
my suggestion would be to shoot for 220 HP Naturally aspirated.. which if you'v read any of the tech faqs. that's pretty easy to get with the alloy cylinder head.. basicly you need to bump the compression, and you do that with the flat top pistions. once you get the compression ratio a little higher, which you can do by cutting a little off the cylinder head.. mike will know how much to cut if you ask him. he has the company leave a little extra 'meat' on the deck surface to make up 57cc chambers, but with a very light cut, they go down to 55cc, and you could go more if needed. but don't in case you ever want the engine force fed.

with 220 hp, your still going to have a lot of torque, and it'll have more power than you expect, and it will be over 200# lighter than a comparable 5.0L 302.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Its hard to compare that to a 302 when you're looking at 220hp... a decently built 302 can double that.

IF I stayed with the 6 I would turbo it for sure, and seriously consider EFI. Those two things can turn your inline six from an embarrassment to a show piece.
I have already found a turbo and an EFI for this engine. Mike will be getting a call today so I can see how much to cut and I just purchased the flat top pistons so I think im headd in the right direction. I have been to every NAPA store and Autozone in a 50 mile radius of my house looking for specs and books for this six cylinder. Cars are my passion and you guys make it so easy for me to get started.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

forget Napa and autozone, if you want literature use AMAZON.com. I am not affiliated in any way with them other than I have bought about 50 car books through them.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Falcon 6 handbook.. it's a little outdated but the information is still solid
http://falconperformance.sundog.net/order.asp
authors are also on www.fordsix.com.
I use Amazon also, and you'll want to buy a couple books on turbocharging

also I would reccomend the yella terra full roller rockers. there very- very high quality, but they also save HP, and will hold higher RPM's better/ fully adjustable.. there have been problems with the cheaper 1's, and that cylinder head at least deserves a roller setup..

Last edited by matt167; 04-09-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson72ss
A friend of mine found an aluminum head for his 200ci 6 that's in his '65 mustang. I believe its an Australian piece. .
What very few Americans know about, is that in Australia the Ford 6 cylinder engine has been developed much further than it ever was in America.

We have some pretty unique Ford inline 6 cylinder engines over here, all are Ford Factory production engines, mass produced in large numbers, and relatively cheap (for what they are) from junk yards in Australia. They are not rare high performance engines as you might expect, but STANDARD Australian Ford factory engines never seen in America.

They range from iron 12 port crossflow heads, alloy 12 port crossflow heads, up to double overhead cam engines with 24 valves, and a factory turbo.

The latest DOHC turbo 244 inch engine is factory rated at 420Hp with 417 ft/lb torque, and can easily produce more than that with higher boost from the standard GT35 ball bearing turbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPV_F6

All these engines would be a straight bolt in.

Last edited by Silver Shadow; 04-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.