Ford Six into Ranchero Dumb Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ford Six into Ranchero Dumb Questions

I just got a 61 Falcon ranchero, and i have a 94 300 ci fuel injected engine. I want to put that in the ranchero with an overdrive auto... the mechanic guy thinks it will fall right in. Any pitfalls?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Measure real good, that vehicle was built with the little Lima six, and the big 300 Cleveland six was a lot taller and somewhat longer.... It sounds like a good idea but I wouldn't have thought it would fit.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

wayy too long for that engine compartment, too tall to clear hood and the x member is in the way for the oil pan, get a later 200 I6 and put some hop up parts on it like a light cam and headders, along with an aussie 250 2v head, you'll like the performance, and you won't have to hack up the ranchero to get it to fit.

I was thinking about fitting a 240/300 I6 into my '67 Falcon ( same platform as your ranchero ), everybody on here told me to steer clear of the idea due to the length issue, and then I got out a tape measure and measured the 300 in my grandfathers '88 F150 ( EFI 300 I6 ), it would fit if I made some major ajustments to the firewall,and x member. it would be easier to put in a 5.0 or 302, even a 351W in it, than the big 6.

the engine you probably have is a 144, severely underpowered and weak, anything is better than that if you want a light performer, the 200 would be your best bet, anything after 1966 is 7 bolt mains, 2 bolts per cap, and they were made until 1983 in the Fairmont but througout the 70's, they were in Mavericks, Granada's, Monarchs and of course the Fairmont, and in the 60's, some Fairlaines, most Falcons after 1966, and some Mustangs after 1965 ( opt for '66 up for the better bottom end )

Last edited by matt167; 03-15-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

ok, i'll check it out... there is no engine or trans, and i dont care if stuff sticks through the hood.. but i dont want to work too hard... for sure... any chance of a oil pan swap to clear the cross member?..
Old 03-15-2006, 05:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

all your going to find for the big 6 is for trucks, which up until 1996 used the same basic twin I beam front suspension with the 240/300 I6 so those pans won't work . a handful of full size cars had 240 I6's in the early 70's, but the pans for them won't work ither. it's not so much the tall deck height, yes that is an issue but the length is the biggest issue, and your engine compartment is shorter than my '67's is, so you would have more of an issue than me. also your suspension would need the V8 stuff, not to mention a beefer rear end, like an 8", the 7.5" 4 lug you have won't cut it. if you want EFI, get a EFI 5.0 302, and use all drop in parts to get it in, SBF mounts will replace the small 6 mounts, bolt togther, spindles from a later car, 1975-1978 Granada/ Monarch, use there 8" also, and the disc brakes, you will need to get double thread tie rod ajusters because the pre '65 Falcon Platform did not use the same thread as the Granada/ Monarch, master cyl, prop valve, all that good stuff. if your set on the 300 I6, you will want this stuff anyhow, because it uses all SBF stuff.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:15 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you don't mind cutting the firewall the 300 can be made to fit, but it's anything but a drop in! The 240/300 is one block, the 144/200/250 another. The 200 or 250 will drop right in. Apparently your mechanic friend is thinking the 300 is built using the same block as the smaller sixes. Don't hold that against him, no one is an expert on all makes and models!

I'm an AMC fan, and we have the same problem. AMC made a 196 six cylinder that's short like the 144/200/250 Ford. The 196 was long in the tooth when it was discontinued in 1965 and replaced with the 199/232/258/4.0L block. That block is a lot longer, and the 196 in the little American (the car that inspired Ford to build the Falcon) is a tight fit. So we're stuck with using the 196, making major firewall mods (torch and welder...), or using the Ford 250 to upgrade power in the 58-63 American (later models were naturally made to handle the longer engine -- Ford never put the 300 in a car, and the 240 was just in pre 65 big cars like the Galaxie -- never in small cars). The small Ford six is the only other six short enough -- Chevy sixes are a couple inches longer and don't fit either.

To elaborate on why the Rambler American inspired Ford (and Chevy, Chrsyler, and Studebaker) to build the Falcon.... Cars like the Falcon, Valiant, Corvair, and Lark were on the drawing boards, but not in production yet because the big companies weren't sure Americans would buy an American built compact -- that and they made more money off the bigger cars. AMC (Rambler) went ahead and reintroduced their old 50-55 100" wheelbase Nash Rambler design as the 58 Rambler American with a few mods (the old dies were still around, so very little tooling cost). It sold like hot cakes -- AMC was the only US auto company to make a profit in 1958, a recession year! Studebaker had already planned on production of the Lark (started tooling up for it) and jumped in for 1959 -- the others weren't able to tool up for their compacts until 1960. But if the Rambler hadn't done so well, the others may not have even built their compacts, or would have waited longer to do so.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

200 block, aussie crossflow head, fordsix cam, all pretty much bolt in, mucho easier crowd than the 300, and guaranteed to make enough power to rattle most of the V8 crowd
Put the right set of duals on the motor & the women will be throwing panties at ya
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

we might have a 289 from a 64 galaxie... and the EFI 300 will go into a street rod, which might uphold the honor of inliners... 300 cubes into 2,500 lbs...that ought to work good enough for cruising with the old farts. I'm not at all interested in speed or racing, i just want to sculpt and play with bondo...The Falcon is supposed to be the company truck for going to the wood store and Home Despot..... As for the panties, we will leave that to Tom Jones.

Mucho greasy-a** to all you all... saved us a lot of grief... We be new at this stuff.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

It sold like hot cakes -- AMC was the only US auto company to make a profit in 1958, a recession year! Studebaker had already planned on production of the Lark (started tooling up for it) and jumped in for 1959 -- the others weren't able to tool up for their compacts until 1960. But if the Rambler hadn't done so well, the others may not have even built their compacts, or would have waited longer to do so.[/QUOTE]

On the same point, i think that if Ford had Kept the Falcon Ranchero in production as was for another 30 years thay would have blunted the Japanese truck invasion of the 70's-80's.

Funny thing, i live in the city and see lots of huge dualies and monster full size trucks with lifts and so on, but when i get out in the country, most of the working trucks are S-10's Rangers and Toyotas

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.