Ford spark plug question... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford spark plug question...

I have a 302 equipped with SVO Aluminum heads (GT40X) and I installed a set of stock replacement mustang 5.0 plugs gapped to .052 The car runs ok but idles like crap. It does sound like it has a slight misfire at idle at times and just does not seem to have the power it should. The plugs are clean when I take them out,very clean...All of them..So its not fouling out.

Then I come to find out that there is a completely different part number and plug for the aluminum GT40 heads. do you think failure to use the correct plugs is my issue?

I also suspect the wires being the culprit, cause it was the first set of wires I crimped myself and was unsure of myself...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Put the correct plugs in the engine.

Go buy an OEM spark plug wire set, and put it on.
Then if you still have problems, report back.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

What ignition system are you running? While the stock gap .052-.054 may be fine for a computer controlled car, not necessarily will it be right for a conventional distributor (Dura Spark, MSD or similar) I just took mine down to .045 from the .054 and it does run smoother. Also - the stock plug if it's still pure white after a number of miles may denote either a way too lean carb, timing too far advanced or that the stock, possibly an AWSF32 or similar, plug range is too hot for aluminum heads. Then there is the plug brand - I'm using NSK now instead of the original Motorcraft/Autolites and are doing well but Champions no longer seem to work well nor do Accel's in most Fords.

Plug wires - unless you broke the inner core, they should be fine if you followed the "directions" we gave you a while back.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:36 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat
I have a 302 equipped with SVO Aluminum heads (GT40X) and I installed a set of stock replacement mustang 5.0 plugs gapped to .052 The car runs ok but idles like crap. It does sound like it has a slight misfire at idle at times and just does not seem to have the power it should. The plugs are clean when I take them out,very clean...All of them..So its not fouling out.

Then I come to find out that there is a completely different part number and plug for the aluminum GT40 heads. do you think failure to use the correct plugs is my issue?

I also suspect the wires being the culprit, cause it was the first set of wires I crimped myself and was unsure of myself...
The stock iron head plugs like 25's are 1/4" too short- so yes they could be causing the bad idle. Do not run them any more than absolutely necessary, the exposed threads of the head will be filling up w/carbon and could- given enough time- make installing the longer 764's (or whatever you end up choosing) hard to install.

Do not forget to use antiseize on the threads and remove the plugs w/the engine cooled off, not hot.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

I put the correct (longer plugs) in just now..Problem solved....I am truely a *********...PS gapped to .052 idles nice even with the cam. Now just a few bugs to work out in the tune.

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.