Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford Steel Wheel Tech
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelkid
thanks guys, does anyone have any ideas for what kind of wheels i should report about next?

Sure. Most car lines of the mid 60s had the Magnum 500 as an option. There were lots of variations of widths, back spacing, trim rings, etc.

e.g.
66 Hertz GT-350s had a chrome 6 x 14 wheel with shallow backspacing so it looked really wide on the outside. So did the 75 Cougar XR7 and the Maverick but they both used the trim ring.
Mopar used the 6 x 14 with a deeper backspace and it looked shallower, so did Rambler.
Some cars had even more backspace so the wheels looked "flat".

Fords used a 7 x 14 sometimes a painted center, sometimes a chrome center and painted wheel with trim ring.

Chevelles used a 6, 7 x 14 in varying trim ring styles.

I have some 14 x 6 Ford wheels with medium backspace and the 70s Olds Cutlas wide trim ring fits perfectly.

Later, the Boss cars upped the anti to 15 inch wheels.

I have some 14 x 7 painted center Ford wheels and cannot find a suitable trim ring.

I like the 60s 14 inch look on my car but cannot find 14 inch performance tires to fit, so I might up to 15s if I can find them to fit.

I prefer the "flat" trim ring look over the chromed wheel look so I am stuck running the Radial TAs in 235.60x14 size on the 14 x 6 (hoping to get the 7s on with decent performance tires ).

thanks