Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford vs Chevy question
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford vs Chevy question

I've always been a Chevy guy, especially when it come to racing. I have to buy a new truck before today is up, and I'm having 2nd thoughts. I want to buy a new extended cab 1/2 ton truck that will last 200,000 miles, and the ride, the steering, and the brakes work good. I'm having trouble deciding. The only Ford I can buy is a STX extended cab 2WD truck with a 4.6 V8 engine. I like the looks of the truck, and my parents have ford vehicles, and they last. I don't know much about the 4.6 except it runs well, but not very fast, which is ok I guess. It rides great. Will this engine be around for the long haul? I will occassionally pull a trailor with a racecar, and that wieghs around 5000 pounds. A 5.4 Ford is out of the question due to cost. I can get a Chevy extended cab 2WD truck with a 4.8 for the same price as the Ford. A Chevy 5.3 maybe possible. I don't know anything about the 4.8. Here are my choices. Please Help!!! I want whatever truck I get not to rattle very much when it gets around 100,000 miles.

Ford 1/2 ton 2WD extended cab 4.6 V8 3.55 rear gears

Chevy 1/2 ton 2WD extended cab 4.8 V8 possibly 5.3 3.23 rear gears

I won't be racing this truck, but maybe pulling with it every now an then. I can't find any specs on the 4.6. Any help would be appreciated! This isn't about Ford or Chevy to me. I'm always gonna like sbc chevy's. I want this truck to be maintenance free, and last, regardless of it being Ford or Chevy.