Ford Windstar rear door light... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Windstar rear door light...

On a 1995 Ford Windstar wagon, 3.8L, the device which turns on the dome lights when the rear door is raised apparently sticks in the on position. The light stays on after the door has been up and then closed. It is not my vehicle but the owner claimed that he had to remove the negative battery terminal wiith the rear door down to make the light go out.

I checked on-line chassis wiring diagrams but they all lacked the detail of the rear door light circuit. I also checked out the door and door jam on the vehicle and could not find the ususal plunger switch on regular doors. There must be a gravity type switch which is not turning the dome lights off or some delay circuit which is not turning off the lights. Any clues as to switch location or what is in the circuit would be helpful.

I also noticed a sliding plastic block on each lower side of the rear door which I initally thought may have been part of a switch circuit. My guess with closer inspection was that they were intended to act as jam blocks to firm up the position of the door when fully closed. Does anyone know what their design intent may be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Perhaps---the switch is attatched to the latch itself.

Was the same on my brother's 94 ranger. Quite annoying when the dome light would come AND the key buzzer would start chiming while driving.

Might have a look there-----and post back
I just bought a 96 Windstar---and I might have this issue down the road
Old 12-06-2008, 07:50 AM

1995 Windstar rear door light switch...

Hello Bryan59EC,
Thank you for the tip on the door latch posibility. I looked at the latch and it was not obvious from the exterior that a switch might be incorporated with it but that is very posible. I did not have time enough to remove the inner door panel to get a look at the inside wiring. That will be the next step. Thank you for commenting.

In the process of disconnecting the negative battery terminal to turn off the lights, we discovered that the "el-cheapo deluxe" battery clamps which Ford likes to use was shot on the negative terminal and didn't clamp tightly. This was a good find since the negative battery terminal rotated on the battery post regardless of how tight the camp screw was reaved down. Now we have a good electrical connection to the new battery.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Ford Windstar rear door light...

when te door is open , try flipping the latcch shut by hand , should be two claw like fingers that shut around post .
if you push them closed , they click shut , then push a little more to see if light goes out , they get worn from time or something may have got shut in it and bent, or one finger may have gotten flip shut and when door was closed , bent the assembly .
you most likely will have to replace latch .
Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Windstar rear hatch switch...

Hello burnt olds,
Thank you for the tip on the door catch. I'll try what you suggested and see what happens. Since its a 1995 with considerable use, the latch may be worn as you suggest.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.