Ford Y Block Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford Y Block Engine

I have a change to get another spare Y block to rebuild so I can keep the one in my 55 Ford so I can keep driving .
Question is , the 292 block I can get is a bare block with out the main crank caps . Will this cause a problem if I get some from another engine ? Does anyone know where to get the main caps ? Does anyone have a 272 or 292 block or engine to sell for rebuilding ? I will be doing the rebuilding this winter . I have a set of 1957 "G" heads and a 3x2 intake and headers . I am getting everything piece by piece . This way I hope it will be ready for the spring engine & trans swap .

Thanks,
Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJim
I have a change to get another spare Y block to rebuild so I can keep the one in my 55 Ford so I can keep driving .
Question is , the 292 block I can get is a bare block with out the main crank caps . Will this cause a problem if I get some from another engine ? Does anyone know where to get the main caps ? Does anyone have a 272 or 292 block or engine to sell for rebuilding ? I will be doing the rebuilding this winter . I have a set of 1957 "G" heads and a 3x2 intake and headers . I am getting everything piece by piece . This way I hope it will be ready for the spring engine & trans swap .

Thanks,
Jim
Every engine has unique main caps matched to the block. Using any other requires line honing and probably line boring first... $$$$

edit: My experience with swapping caps on SBC is that in some cases, it might take 12- 20 caps to get one close enough to go to the line hone without excessive cutting.

Last edited by xntrik; 06-13-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/

These guys know Y-Blocks as it is their life.

No doubt they will have extra caps to sell and can give you advice on what ones to use and not to use.

I was on there for years and some advice is the word "Chevy" is never used.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 PM

I know those people very well ! They have given me some great engine advice and some other Y block people to talk with . And YES , you will never hear the "C" word there !!!
I am going to be getting a stroker kit to install in mine . I am going to bore to a 292-.060 over . I am going to put a C4 or a T-10 with it , but not sure which way to go on the trans yet . I have a Ford-O-Matic in it now . The rear will be a 3.55 - 4.11 . I am just going to have a fun street car that my wife and I will drive at car shows and things like that . I am just going to do a few things at a time and one day will get the nice paint job done . I love my Y block and will keep it !! They have a few problem with the oiling system that I know how to mod .
The guy just replied to me and found all the caps and bolts too ! He also found some other parts to go with it , so I am going to see what kind of deal we can make .
Thanks for you help !

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

I put an AOD behind the 312 in T-Bird in place of the FO.
It made it a different car.

Best money I ever spent on that car.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

ford aod to yblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
I put an AOD behind the 312 in T-Bird in place of the FO.
It made it a different car.

Best money I ever spent on that car.
wher did you get the adaptor to hang a aod behind the y block. i am a real fan of yssand want to put one in my 47 pickup but need od trans thanks cliff
Old 06-14-2006, 11:09 AM

Ask BarrK on the reply before your's . He said he did it to his Tbird . I would like to know that one too !

Jim
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/coments.htm

This is the one I bought, it was very well made everything fit to a tee,
Came with a crank adapter, proper flywheel and a hitasee ( spelling??) Chev mini high torque starter that I just plain love.
Also had real good instructions and pictures as a bonus.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 PM

Thank you for the web site . It looks to be a very nice and well built product that comes with everything needed to do an " AOD " trans swap . I didn't think it was too awful pricey considering on what was all included in the kit !!
One question , did the drive shaft work OK or did you have to get a new drive shaft made ? I have a 55 Fairlane that I will be keeping the Y block in . I will be beefing it up a bit but will have to do a trans swap . I have only found the C4 & T15 (I think) adapter so far . This one is only a little more but you do get allot more for your money .
Please let me know about the drive shaft issue .

Thanks Again ,
Jim
Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I'm gonna call those folks up an see if they have an adaptor to fit my 350 CHEVY to an AOD for my '56 Crown Vicky!

tom
Old 06-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

The only difference is the yoke on the shaft going into the trannie was about an inch longer (on the AOD) but I bought a brand new one from ford and when I had the drive shaft cut 3 inches the guy showed me the way the internal part was made and said you really don't need it so took it back to ford.

He cut and balanced for $75.

Get the Locar TV cable.

AOD needs a cooler.

Same speedo cable works but you will need AOD plastic gear for end
19-23 tooth depending on gear. I think the 3:10 used the 20 and the 3:56 I think I have the 21 or 22 in there. I think 21.
Keep in mind the old speedo you cannot figure out mathematically like you can the newer ones, so its trial and error with the GPS or mile marker.

Original shifter will work but if you want to manual shift into low gear
you will need to make a 21/4 inch extension and drill two holes.
I ran a bolt through the extension to tranny so I could fine tune the adjustment and get the right Angle so drive was drive then spot welded extension. Very easy.

Four months later I got a brain fart and went to junk yard and ripped a linkage out of a 88 Linc and replace the bell crank and gas peddle with the Lincoln set up, just never trusted that bell crank even before the switch.

Its really an easy job.

EDIT:
Good God, I never post under Engine and first time I do I change it to transmissions instead of engine. Sorry!

Last edited by BarryK; 06-14-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:37 PM

That sounds not to bad of a swap ! Thanks for all the information and I think I will go that way . Once I get everything bolted in , I will see how the drive shaft works out and go from there . As for the speedometer , I will play by ear . I drive local so I will just pace my wifes car and guess the difference in the speeds ! As for a shifter I think I will go with a floor shifter . I might change the steering column over at some point so I will do the shifter thing just once !

Thanks for everything !!!

Jim

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.