Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - forged block
Thread: forged block
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrynova
All I want is to learn. Just please help me out with all my questions I know its annoying but I'm working with what I know
A man is known by his library, among other things. Today there is a lot of information available on the web and in book form. Some authors are better than that others, some you can take to the bank, others with a grain of salt. You can take books by David Vizard to the bank. He has many books but there is a 3 book series that ties much of his other books together titled "How to Build Horsepower" Volume 1, 2 and 3. Finding his name on the web will lead you to his many other books and automated search engines such as that used by Amazon will pull up similar books by other authors. As you gain general knowledge you'll want to look into books by Charles Fayette Taylor ("The Internal-combustion Engine in Theory and Practice" there are 2 volumes to this, they are pricey) and Sir Harry Ricardo (most well known is "The high-speed internal-combustion engine" among others, also pricey)
these are engineering texts rather than popular press editions so without some engineering background they can be a somewhat more difficult and certainly dullish reads, but when you gain an understanding of the rocket science below the surface you can connect the results seen in the popular press with the scientific whys or why nots that cause things to happen the way they do.

There are older books by Smokey Yunick and Bill Grumpy Jenkins that include useful though often dated information, they are very useful in building a perspective about how we've come to where we are in what I refer to as the modern performance era which starts with the OHV V8 designs of the 1950's to the present. If you add some books like "Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of World War II" by Graham White and "History of Aircraft Piston Engines" by Herschel Smith you'll see the connections in design and materials to modern automotive engines and learn that things like nitrous injection, super charging, cross bolt mains and crankshaft girdles have been around for a long time where the need for high power, strength and light weight have been driving design solutions. In many ways the automotive field is just catching up to the structural and material technologies of WW II aircraft engines so these books and others provide a useful perspective. Of course we have titanium that wasn't available as a useful material in the 1940's but that aside most everything in these airplane motor books will look familiar.

By the time you build a good library you'll spend a lot of money but it's worth it, knowledge is power.

Bogie