Forged Crankshafts,Pistons, or Rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Forged Crankshafts,Pistons, or Rods

Hi there,

Say that you were building a motor and you had a little extra cash to burn. Would you burn it on a forged crank, forged rods, or forged pistons? When looking at the parts that go into some crate motors, sometimes you see reconditioned connecting rods with forged pistons or a forged crank with cast pistons. So if you were to spend your money on a forged part in the shortblock, which would it be a why? Thanx for any replys. Just a curious question i guess.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The first upgrade that makes sense is pistons. That is definately the weakest link in stock parts for most engines. While making that upgrade it makes alot of sense to get quality forged pistons instead of the cheapo's. The good stuff is much lighter and will make the rods and crank live longer due to reduces reciprocating mass.

Chris
Old 01-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

PARTS

I agree with chris. If i only had the money for one thing it would be the pistons..... It's amazing what the stock crank and rods will put up with abuse wise in a well tuned engine.....

Keith
Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I would have to agree also. I think a set of forged pistons and some ARP rod bolts could go a long way. I have rarely heard of a crank breaking. Other than piston problems, the other main thing that gives is usually the rods at the bolts.

Good luck
Adam
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

racing

Racing adds a different slant to engine parts as opposed to a street car. When running a tranny brake and slicks you can break a crank. So a street car doesn't need a forged crank. Most engines I have seen blow, have been due to rod failure. Going out of round, spinning a bearing, or just plain snapping in two. Lastly is pistons pins knocking or burning a hole through the top. Burning a hole in a piston is generally from bad fuel air mixture. This will burn a hole through a forged piston just as easily. You can also buy better quality cast pistons. My recommendation is forged rods, then forged pistons, and a crank if your racing.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Bracketeer, you said pretty much what I was going to say. In my thinking I agree with everyone else. Forged pistons are hard to beat and the new ones are less prone to piston knock that older ones used to have.
One thing to think about too is that when you buy a new rotating assembly they are new and often times better parts. example would be a cast 9000 scat crank is much better then OE cast cranks and holds up for most uses.
I and H beam rods are generally stronger then stock rods and with ARP bolts(option with most kits) there should be no problem.
Pistons would be a place where I would not skimp out on. Forged pistons are a nice safety net in case something goes "a little" wrong. Also for future use they often times come in handy when "upping the power".

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.