forged short block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

forged short block

I have been looking for a forged bottom end to build from with the end result of a weiand 144 sitting on top . I already have the blower and manifold , I will reuse the 4150 750cfm carb and headers from my excisting motor .
Is anyone familiar with Blue print ? I was looking at this

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_834053_-1

Any more suggestions ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

That would be a good base for your setup, but with flat top pistons you will need large combustion chambers to keep your compression low enough to run 6-9 psi of boost.

So if you purchase aftermarket heads you should get some with 76cc chambers if you want to avoid detonation.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

you don't necessarily need large chamber heads,I built a 30 model a dlx.roadster that was a feature in street rod action, that I owned for 13 years, I ran a +.030 350 chevy with pink rods,a factory steel crank,and forged t.r.w. 7.5:1 compression ratio reversed dome(d-shaped) blower pistons i had the rotating assembly balanced, ran a b+m megacharger camshaft with crower roller rockers and brodix track 1 aluminum heads, a rossler racing transmission street/strip 350 turbo transmission with a 2800 t.c.i. converter with anti-balooning plate, and a 4.11 posi 8 in. ford with 29.1 tall 8in. wide steel wheels with wide white radials. I ran 5,000 miles worth of regular pump gas through the engine with no detonation( I had a vacuum boost retard g.m.h.e.i. dist.recurved as to my specifications) and it ran flawlessly, with absolutely no problems,other than the need to make a stop for the windshield so it could not swivel in to hit your hands during extreme acceleration!! ( i was running a b+m forced induction -144-supercharger)
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,084 Times in 897 Posts
Agree with Double_v23. Look at this chart from Blower Drive Service. Scroll down to the chart titled Blower Boost. It shows the relationship of static compression ratio to boost with pump gas (dark gray shaded numbers) and good gas (light gray shaded numbers).
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/techcharts.php
Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,084 Times in 897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodderbn
you don't necessarily need large chamber heads,I built a 30 model a dlx.roadster that was a feature in street rod action, that I owned for 13 years, I ran a +.030 350 chevy with pink rods,a factory steel crank,and forged t.r.w. 7.5:1 compression ratio reversed dome(d-shaped) blower pistons i had the rotating assembly balanced, ran a b+m megacharger camshaft with crower roller rockers and brodix track 1 aluminum heads, a rossler racing transmission street/strip 350 turbo transmission with a 2800 t.c.i. converter with anti-balooning plate, and a 4.11 posi 8 in. ford with 29.1 tall 8in. wide steel wheels with wide white radials. I ran 5,000 miles worth of regular pump gas through the engine with no detonation( I had a vacuum boost retard g.m.h.e.i. dist.recurved as to my specifications) and it ran flawlessly, with absolutely no problems,other than the need to make a stop for the windshield so it could not swivel in to hit your hands during extreme acceleration!! ( i was running a b+m forced induction -144-supercharger)
I think Double was sayin' that if he goes with flat-tops, then he's gonna have to lower the c.r. in one fashion or another and large heads would be the logical step.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.