Hot Rod Forum banner

Forget the Caddy, Got me a Buick! ROAR!

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Fragzem 
#1 ·
hehehe
well I went and made an offer on a 71 Riviera on Friday, and the guy who owns it won't be back till Tuesday but his partner took the signs off the car for me, so I guess I have it already...

My biggest problem with this car is about a 4 inch by 1/4 inch of rust on the side of the rear window.. more towards the trunk.. i'd say if u looked at the rear window like a clock its at about 5 o'clock.

What should I do with this, I know it must be repaired immediatley.
I heard that if the rear window has to be removed to fix it, it's biggg bucks.. this true?

btw that's the only real trouble spot. the car is very clean all over the place except for that, some clear coat coming off the hood, and a scrape on the rear right quarter panel, looks like someone rubbed against a white car or pole.. no dent, just.. scrape.

then yeah, as u would expect, the vinyl top has to come off and i guess ill sand that down under there and prime it, coat it with whatever and put another top on it. but i think im gonna car-cover it from rain until its fixed.

I know we're supposed to talk about body - exterior in here but also.. what do u guys think of this car anyway? I love it. Only problem is i bet the Gas Station Attendent is gonna know me on a first name basis... if he speaks english. 455.. roar

See less See more
#3 ·
Fragzem,

Its hard to give an evaluation not knowing where the rust lies.

As I am sure you know, the only way to fix rust is get rid of it. That small section which you said is 4" x 1/4" will probably turn out a little bigger.

If the rust is right up against the edge of the panel near the glass I am sure you will end up removing the glass. More than likely this is a problem area.

You will want to cut the metal out where it is rusted and MIG weld a new piece in. Once you take the glass out you will probably find deep surface rust and pitting around the window. This is very common. I like using a 3M clean and strip wheel to take the paint and sealer down to shiny metal. If you have stubborn spots you will want to use a spot sandblaster to hit those spots. Prime with something like epoxy primer.

There are products out there that I have been using like Marhyde that is supposed to coat and kill rust. Makes its own primer in a way. I have used it on some surface rust inside of cowls where Its not easy to condition. I am reluctant to recommend it it you as I have not seen it after years of use. Maybe someone else has longterm experience.

In a nut shell. Dont skim over it and expect it to go away. Rust is a living thing and needs to be totally removed. If its close to your glass.. Well you get the idea :)

Nice cars, BTW. I love the 71-73 boatails.

Rich

#4 ·
Hey rich, thanks for the great info! :)

Doubt I'll be able to do this at home, even tho I do everything else.. just haven't a sandblaster and tools to take the window out.... but now that I know how it should get done, I can oversee what any body guy does to it.

Now a little honesty-- and yeah its right along the glass.

Honesty is.... I dont wanna bring the car home to bring it to a body shop for a week right away.. i wanna have fun with it for at least a week or 2 b4 i dump it off at a shop.... so..... u think i can stick that ol' tar tape or puddy in the rust for those 2 weeks in case it rains to slow down any "help" my rust will get? I think i'll give that a go.... actually i need to buy that 89 240sx for daily driving b4 i can leave this car someplace.-- friend of mine has one for 300 bucks.

so puddy? in case it rains, is it a good idea or bad? never know, u might tell me by pushin that crap in there the rust will get worse with rain coz of the transdimensional aspect flow ratio of acidity in the rain divided by 2, times the amount of grease in the rear axle? lol or somethin that i dont know about.

so leave it alone for those 2-3 weeks or try and cover it up with that stuff to stop whatever it will?

i guess its pointless bein its only 3 weeks but u nver kno.

and yes, Goat it is a boat tail riviera where the back looks like a vette and the front looks like.... a 70's monte carlo that was straightned a bit

#5 ·
Well if you are not comfortable with pulling the glass, have a glass company do it. Thats not a piece of glass you want to replace.

As far as sandblaster. I am not suggesting that you get a big sandblaster. Just a little pot type for "spot" blasting. More along the lines of this.

That said, I guess I dont know your intent with this car. I tear EVERYTHING apart so I get a little extreme. But, rust is not on the list of things you can do halfway. It has to go.

As far as driving it a "couple" weeks, I doubt that it is going to go downhill in two weeks since it has been this way for a while. Stick a piece of tape over it and call it good.

Rich

#6 ·
Yeah rich, that sounds good to me...
I'm not in any way trying to avoid this.. just trying to enjoy the car for a lil bit b4 i begin workin on it.. definatley not going half way with the rust, i know how rust can be from A)seeing it, B)reading it on these forums, C)having it fall in my damn eye when doing an oil change!! damn thats frustrating.. :)

I work at Pep Boys so it actually sounds like a good idea...... I can sand blast it and clean it good there after cutting it out, and then someone at work can MIG the new metal in there. hmm.... i wouldn't ask them to pull the glass tho-- i wanna pay for that job to be done in case someone breaks it, then i can get them to pay for it.

thanks! :)

u kno- tape does sound like a much better idea.. tar tape is black and it works on my monte carlo.. but yeah.. the Buick is Duct tape colored already! :)

#7 ·
Most glass companies won't gurantee against breakage during removal, but believe it or not I've seen car insurance companies pick up the tab for the broken glass, they usually subrogate against the glass company who will refuse to pay but the insured does end up getting it covered and we all pay in higher premiums :D Piano wire is the only way to go on these older designs IMO, it usually only takes me 20 minutes and I haven't broken a piece of glass in at least 15 years. Let me know if you want to try and tackle the job yourself and I'll explain the proceedure. Bob

#9 ·
An Update

Been a long time since I've been on HR BB... sorry sorry
=P

Here's some pics of the Riviera

#11 ·
cruzinTLT said:
What's with the louvers in the rear deck lid? I thought maybe you had two V-8's in there :D No wonder you want to cruize for awhile! LOL
the vents in the deck lid were only avilable in '71.. I guess they figured it was a good way to rot the trunk out (AS IT DID) lol, and stopped that in 72.

Nothing in that ol' trunk but 3.. yes 3 spare tires. Well not anymore I took 2 of them out. Car came with 2 extra rims and the spare. I still have the original Kelly Springfield H78-15 Polyester spare tire in my garage.

Those louvers are really for putting bodys in the trunk.

#13 ·
I had a 71, marroon met, very cool car. I drove away from my first wedding back in 79, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES YOU JERK! :)

It was a super nice car, my wife THERE YOU GO BRINGING THAT ***** UP AGAIN :) had a 68 Camaro RS. I am not kidding, that big old Riv out handled and powered the Camaro.

I see you have an aftermarket intake and valve covers (Kenny-Bell I believe) should make a cool car. 512 ft lbs torque stock!!!

By the way, how do you like this for some trivia, that car was designed by Bill Mitchell, the guy who designed the 63 Vette.

Brian

#14 ·
MARTINSR said:
I had a 71, marroon met, very cool car. I drove away from my first wedding back in 79, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES YOU JERK! :)

It was a super nice car, my wife THERE YOU GO BRINGING THAT ***** UP AGAIN :) had a 68 Camaro RS. I am not kidding, that big old Riv out handled and powered the Camaro.

I see you have an aftermarket intake and valve covers (Kenny-Bell I believe) should make a cool car. 512 ft lbs torque stock!!!

By the way, how do you like this for some trivia, that car was designed by Bill Mitchell, the guy who designed the 63 Vette.

Brian
Hehehe, thanks Brian
Kenne-Bell Valve Covers, Kenne-Bell cam (i have been told), Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley Carb, and who knows what kinda headers.

All came with it when I got it.
Walker turbo mufflers as well.. a bit too loud..

I know how it drives, I left a Porsche 944 in the dust as well as a couple Mustang GT's. =P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.