Found a car need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Don't worry I'm a Professional

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Found a car need help

Ok gentlemen i think i finally found a car. In tech class we are doing a custom 99 Mustang. Its going to be Black with Pearl White Stripes. One problem its a 6. Whats involved in switching out to an 8. Now not to be a pain i need pretty much all the parts an infor i can get. From what i heard Trans, Engine (obviously), Mounts. The teach is selling at 5 grand to the student so just curious.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

So, what or you asking? Is $5K a good price for everything you need to put this car on the road with a V-8? If so, What is the engine, tranny, etc that ya'll are getting for your money?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Its easier and cheaper to just find a 99 gt for 6-7k. If you are going to swap everything its a pain. Engine, tranny, computer, computer harness, complete fuel system, complete hydraboost system since a 4.6 won't clear a booster, ac compressor and lines, exhaust, throttle and cruise cables, hoses, motor mounts, and much more. If you are set on doing the swap find a wrecked gt that already has all the parts to swap.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

You could put a procharger on it. I dont know much about the 1999 6 cyl, but procharger makes a supercharger/ intercooler kit for the new V6's that puts down ~330 hp at the wheels with no other mods.

Check this out:
http://www.procharger.com/FORD/ford_auto.shtml

Adam
Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone
You could put a procharger on it. I dont know much about the 1999 6 cyl, but procharger makes a supercharger/ intercooler kit for the new V6's that puts down ~330 hp at the wheels with no other mods.

Check this out:
http://www.procharger.com/FORD/ford_auto.shtml

Adam
That was my alternate idea but I really wanted an 8 for some time now but make the best of what ya got. right?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Ok so I've got one more question. Will a header/exhaust combo on the v6 mustang sound like a ricer or will it sound like muscle?

If it does sound like rice what are the reccomendations to fix that (muffler, Full custom exhaust, etc..)?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

A six will not sound like a v8...................not saying that it wont sound OK...........Look, if this is your 1st car, dont worry about what it sounds like. Main thing is that you have a decent set of wheels................Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:53 PM

There is a reasonable selection of performance parts for a six cylinder Mustang and you should be able to get it to perform and sound better than most of the typical ricer cars. It will also be much cheaper to insure than a V-8 (at your age) and should give decent gas mileage.

Concentrate on careful and tasteful detailing of your car, and very few people will worry about the engine. With a black car you want to avoid the gaudy and cheap looking add-ons (goofy lights, extra big exhaust tips, etc.), and you can make it look really good.

If the car is not already painted, you might want to rethink the white stripes. I've seen other combinations that may look better.

Bruce
Old 10-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Not raining on your parade..But Before you put all these plans into action..and Make any deals..

Better be sure it will pass STATE Inspection FIRST...else , you could end up with a $5000 , Very Purty, 2 Ton, Yard Gnome..

Not something a 16 year old thinks of out the gate..so I toss it out there as food for thought..

AND then any mods you do subsequent, should also conform..Engine/Smog/exhaust..

I see a lot of guy's that say "Putting a Big block in, dumping the computer, and cats, this..and that.."

I usually ask, " what about state inspections? the "Stock" answer is always: "I can get around those no sweat.."

Only to find that member name posting back 6 months later: Cannot Smog my Car..What Should I do?" Truth is..you can't get around the inspections..

Now he is faced with with returning it to stock condition for about double the cost, or parting it out on Evil Bay..Cuz he ain't driving it on State roads..without DMV tags..

If you have another "non Road use" planned , that is a different story..but the heads up is if you want a driver..

Doc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.