Found a couple of Qjets? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Found a couple of Qjets?

I friend has 2 Qjets in his garage, one from a 73 Olds 7043251 and a 68 Chevy 327 7028212 both are $20 ea. and look in good condition or should I wait til something closer to what I am looking for comes along?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

I don't know anything about the numbers but ANY carburetor that has been sitting anywhere for an extended period of time will need to be rebuilt. I think they only made 2 sizes of Q-jets...700 and 800 cfm. Better do some research on those numbers.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Both of those carbs are 750cfm, the 800 cfm Q-jets came out in the mid 70's.

What kind of carb are you looking for.

$20 ea is good price for cores that need to be rebuilt. You would need to fine tune the either to your application, which would mean changing hanger/rods to get the mixture right

If youre gonna go with a Q-jet, get Cliff Ruggles Q-Jet book before you start. It will show you the correct way to rebuild and modify a Q-jet for best performance and mileage
The Following User Says Thank You to FmrStrtracer For This Useful Post:
raguza123 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

keep your intake manifold in mind, there's a difference in square vs spread bore.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

If your intent is to use a Q-jet, then $20 each is worth it just for spare parts and a model in case you forget how stuff goes back together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grease_Fever For This Useful Post:
raguza123 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer View Post
Both of those carbs are 750cfm, the 800 cfm Q-jets came out in the mid 70's.

What kind of carb are you looking for.

$20 ea is good price for cores that need to be rebuilt. You would need to fine tune the either to your application, which would mean changing hanger/rods to get the mixture right

If youre gonna go with a Q-jet, get Cliff Ruggles Q-Jet book before you start. It will show you the correct way to rebuild and modify a Q-jet for best performance and mileage
I am looking for a Qjets to throw on my 67 326 Pontiac, It was suggested to go with a Qjet, I've been using Carters since 1999 when I bought an Edelbrock and scrapped that about 14 months now, that's when I bought my first Carter and I do like them but it was suggested by the Carbshop in Mo. to grab a Q-jet from a 350 and install it and it perform better than the Carter. I also plan on getting the book you suggested. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM

My intake is a Edelbrock Performer 2156, it should be good for a Q-Jet?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

You'll need an adapter to go from your square bore manifold to the spread bore QJ. The QJet has small primaries for daily driving and big secondaries for oomph that give it the spread bore pattern.

The QJ is a great carb. Just be ready to do some reading, because in order to take advantage of the QJ capabilities, you'll need to understand the system well.

The recommendation to go with a QJ that came off a 350 is because it will put your tune (jets and metering rods) closer to your c.i. application. But, you'll still need some adjusting after that.
raguza123 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

Be prepared to install new bushings on the primary throttle shaft that tend to wear with these carbs. That extra space will cause vacuum leaks that will give you a headache trying to tune it.

Re-bushing kits run from $50-$100. There are some $5 DIY solutions on the web (Which is why you should snag those QJ's your friend has) that will work. But, getting the shaft to line back up if you don't have the right boring tools can be a problem.
raguza123 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

Correction on the 2156...Yes, that should work. I misread that for a 2166. Sorry about that.
raguza123 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Either carb should be close in stock setup, the Olds carb will be set up for lower compression fuel and leaner emissions.

What type of choke do you want, the Chevy carb is probably operated by a bi-metal spring, while the Olds is probably connected to a heat crossover.(may even be electric, not sure when they started that)

Either way, theyre both good for parts and you should be able to at least come up with one good carb. between the 2.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 AM

Some Qjets are considerably less prone to shaft wear in the means of the way the throttle lever/& return spring is set up. Pontiac Qjets are one of them... Cant remember if its Olds, or Buick that also shares that unique throttle return spring configuration thats integrated into the baseplate which in turn eliminates the need for a second throttle pull of spring.... Resulting in no uneccesary tension in the shaft bushings. Hopefully the case with the Olds quadrajet you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to 74galaxie500 For This Useful Post:
raguza123 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 AM

I'll check today when I grab them later on, I'll tear em down keep them seperate til I talk to others and get this book to tune them.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM

I used the Ruggles book and its great. However, it separates rebuilding and tuning for performance into different chapters, which can get confusing if you are trying to rebuild and improve at the same time. In the middle of a rebuild step you might have to flip to the performance chapter to see if you should make some other mods, or check some clearances before you put a piece back on the carb.

Ruggles also sells the primary throttle shaft bushing kit and its very easy to use. He provides a self-aligning drill bit that makes it easy to drill out the carb and install the new bushings. You get bushings for two carbs, so you could do both cores with one kit.

Chevy usually has a right angle fuel inlet that points to the passenger side, while many other GM cars have a fuel inlet pointing straight to the front. This might be a consideration when you pick which carb to use. The throttle and kickdown linkage also differs between GM lines.

I used Ruggles high-end rebuild kit and it was very complete. He has to know the carb number before you buy the kit because his kits are custom-configured for the carb. They are not universal Quadrajet rebuild kits like you get at NAPA. Although the kits are complete, they only provide a reprint of stock GM documentation for the carb. You also need his book if you want to know how to do a quality rebuild.

Bruce
The Following User Says Thank You to 75gmck25 For This Useful Post:
raguza123 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 AM

I am looking into grabbing that book he has. On his way to work he dropped one off to me, the 7043251, It was all ready disassembled, I didn't know this I was thinking of throwing it on and testing it out, no go. all the parts are bagged up, no choke, but it does have a choke pull off.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.