Four bar Fix? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Four bar Fix?

Ok... The car is a 1961 ford falcon wagon, in the rear end i have a 8.8 out of a mustang set up underneath, im using original 1986 ford mustang suspension components. The mounts have been moved in on the axle as well, the frame mounts are built out of 3/16" plate. The springs are a Pro-Shock coilover kit available through jegs.

Unfortunately the rear-end was lined up incorrectly after the mounts have been welded. I had two marks on the drivers side for the center line and i went off the wrong one the result was apparent when the wheels were bolted on as the left side sits 1/2" forward...

I know the springs will need to be remounted but what can i do about the 4 links is it possible to build adjustable end links on new bars to allow adjustability and correct alignment so this doesnt happen again? or will that create an odd geometry...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0Falcon

Unfortunately the rear-end was lined up incorrectly after the mounts have been welded. I had two marks on the drivers side for the center line and i went off the wrong one the result was apparent when the wheels were bolted on as the left side sits 1/2" forward...

I know the springs will need to be remounted but what can i do about the 4 links is it possible to build adjustable end links on new bars to allow adjustability and correct alignment so this doesnt happen again? or will that create an odd geometry...
I would readjust the tabs. You can use lower arms with adjustments but that would not make it right. The suspension has to be square from the get-go.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Last photo:

If I am reading your question right the only way to correct the problem is relocate the bracket to the correct position. If you try and make up the difference with longer or shorter bars the geometry of the two sides will be different and ride and handling will suffer.

Vince
Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You would have binding due to the different arc the upper and lowers would be traveling. You would also get rollsteer issues.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

yea i kinda had the idea that the suspension problems would arise, now if i cut off the mounts i made, when i re-weld the new mounts on will i have to worry about weak spots in the frame should i plate along the frame? or if i do it right will there even be an issue?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

What I have done before is to weld a plate onto the outsides of the bracket, fill in the (now closed on 1 side) hole in the bracket, and drill another one. If there is enough room on your bracket that might be a workable (yet ugly) solution.

If you have the time I would just cut them off and move them back.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.