Four post car lift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Four post car lift

I'm looking to buy a four post car lift for both parking/storage and for doing mechanical work. Does anyone have any specific advice be it positive or negative. Would like to know what's good and what's junk. What's a good value and what's over priced. Any comments or advice are welcome!
Thanks,'
HD Don

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

See if this thread helps.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM

I looked at lots of lifts, and, frankly, some of them are scary. I went with Rotary lift and couldn't be happier. There is no shake or wobble to mine at all, even with my 1 ton pickup on board. Friends have bought lifts for less, but I'd be afraid to work under them. Some of them came over to help me put mine up, and even they were impressed. Buy quality, not price....you'll be happy for a longer lifetime.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:08 PM

Four post lift

Thanks mucho to all who have responded. I thought I was confused before! I'm finding that there are more manufacturers of auto lifts than I knew about. I now have a list of ten different manufacturers to check our. DEFINITELY want one that is American made! Its easy to be tempted buy a low price but I hate buying stuff and then being disappointed with the product. Better to pay a bit more and be happy with the purchase. Right?
THANKS,
HD Don
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM

lifts

call the kwiklift guys

www.kwiklift.com

low rise and 4 posts
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 AM

Car lift

Hey 32 Roadster,

Thanks, I hadn't heard of KwikLift. Looks like a quality product. My research is telling me that most (if not all) of the lits that are $2000.00 or less are really just intended for storage and not sturdy enough for mechanical work. Seems like when you get into the $3000.00 to $3500.00 range there is a pretty level playing field. One of the cars I will be putting on on this lift is a 49 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette which is a big, long, heavy car! Don't want the lift swaying back and forth as I wrench on the Buick! :-)
THANKS!
HD Don
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 AM

lifts

HD DON
Your are exactly right !!!

Ive seen a bunch of these imported cheapies at the cars shows, and you can actually reach up and push on the top of the posts, and the darn thing will sway back and forth. Several inches, actually.

Not for me.......... thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 PM

You are on the right track...........I've seen lots of the cheapies......I wouldn't but a Backyard Buddy, but their latest ad shows some pictures of failures..........not pretty stuff!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM

lifts

I was at Corvettes at Carlisle last August, and with my own eyes saw 2 different imported lifts fail. They did not completely collapse, but they had fallen at such an angle that it was REALLY ugly. One corner was 6 - 8 inches below the other 3 corners.
One, a cable snapped, the other one, the legs swayed enough during an exhaust installation to let the locking mechanism slip off the welded on tabs. The show promoters had to get a forklift and raise each of the lifts up while the repairs were being done.

AND, each lift had a new bodied Vette on it.....

How do you think those guys felt ????????

Like anything else, you get what you pay for...

Last edited by 32roadster; 02-01-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Car Lift

Hey 32 Roadster & Busterwivell,

Thanks for the insight, comments, and personal experiences. I too have seen lots of these lifts at car shows and it other shops but I've never owned one. I have finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one and I just don't want to get it and be sorry I did.

BTW - I just found this hot rodder forum a couple of days ago through a hot rodder buddy in So Cal. Everyone here is awesome! This is a great forum for sharing idea's and asking questions. I've tried forums similar to this in the past that were car or motorcycle related and have encountered some real knuckleheads. Was not a good experience. This is cool though! THANKS!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 PM

lifts

you are welcome......
Old 02-04-2007, 08:09 PM

four-post lift

Has anyone seen independent test on four-post lifts? I sent for information from about 6 different manufacturers a while back, but became very confused. I want quality and safety, but I do not want to over pay. Cheapest is usually bad; however, the most expensive is not necessarily the best. Besides lifting my lighter street rods, I need to be able to lift my diesel quad-cab pickup (8' bed) with camper (about 11,000 pounds).

What are the brands that have been seen to have failed?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Lift

Hey Oldpackrat,

I've not personally seen any lifts fail but I agree with you. I too have researched this for a few weeks and after a while it all becomes a blur. Everyone claims to have the best game in town but when prices range from under $1500.00 to over $5000.00 you know that has to be a difference. Like you I want safety, quality, and performance but don't want to over pay. I have pretty much decided on getting a BendPak 9000 pound four post lift. Depending on where you buy it and what accessories you add its about $3000.00. Has anyone out there seen any problems with the BendPak lift?
THANKS!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

AS an owner of a 4 post lift former owner of 2 different 2 post lifts victim of one company putting my truck on a 2 post lift and destroying the truck chassis and last but not least another 2 post lift breaking some plastic part and dropping my truck to the ground(both the last 2 incidents were at professional auto repair centers i have a very definate opinion here

1- what are you doing with the lift hobbyist or comm? most imp ? so you know the weight limit you need
2- are you storing a car above one? 4 post is def easier
3- accidents you see on the inexpensive lifts generally seem to come from improper adjustment resulting in the safety on each post not engaging properly
4- on a 2 post lift make sure you understand how to lift the car properly. i have seen 2 trucks fall off the back of the lift
5- for restoration purposes either seems to work well
6- old pack rat -with that kinda weight you are out of the limits of a cheapie.I had a 94 chevy 20 series pickup with a reading utility body on the back .mechanic raised the truck and it started to fall backwards of the lift causing the lift to jam. he proceded to try and bounce the lift up and down causing the lift to drop to the ground and bending the chassis on the truck enough to cause the seam betweem the bed and cab to vary by almost 8". you definately need a 4 post drive on lift. it's the only kind i've seen for HD trucks
Old 02-05-2007, 10:25 AM

lift

Hi 59 wagon man.

Cool lookin' 59 wagon! Thank for you comments. My lift will be for use in my own shop at home for restoring, building hot rods, and storing cars when I need room on the floor. I definitely want a four post instead of the two post lift. It will not be for commercial use. The heaviest car I plan to lift will be my 49 Buick Roadmaster so I thin the 9000 lb lift will be sufficient. What brand lift do you own? Is there a particular brand that you would not recommend? I chose the BendPak because its American made, seems to be a high quality and well made product that is in the mid price range. Not a cheepie but not over priced. THANKS!
HD Don

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.