four way flashers work on front right light but turn signal does not. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

four way flashers work on front right light but turn signal does not.

The title pretty much explains my issue. I originally had the flasher solenoid go out on me but was unaware that the left front wasn't working even with the solenoid working. I replaced the bulbs, cleaned the contacts, replaced the turn signal switch and still nothing. I also stripped back the wires and put a volt meter to see if I was getting voltage to the socket......nothing. Anything I might have missed? This has become very frustrating!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

what Specific car make model etc do you have ? Some newer cars have a fuse for every simple little thing. Could be that simple, could be a bad turn switch or hazard switch (or combination switch if it has that)
Start by posting make model year etc.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

To be clear. The left front turn signal and hazard lamp does not work?
The attached drawing shows a typical turn signal/hazard flasher setup.
If you have replaced the TS switch/hazard switch assembly, there are only (2) things left to be at fault.
The wire from the TS switch to the lamp to broken.
Or the lamp is not grounded.
Make sure you have 12 volts at the TS switch output to the left front lamp.
The wire color at the lamp will be the same at the TS switch.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GM turn signals.pdf (401.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM

My mistake, I was very frustrated when originally posted this thread. I even wrote the wrong light in the title. It is a 1979 Ford F-150. I am very much considering replacing the whole headlight/marker harness. I tried to test from the harness connection under the hood but I guess the solenoid will not respond with the harness disconnected. I might add that I am having similar issues with the right rear light but I think this is a light socket issue. I have noticed some of the sockets have been replaced by previous owners but not the one I am having issues with in the front.

I don't have a good diagram for my fuses but I assumed (maybe my mistake) that there are not separate fuses for separate lights. Atleast in my experience they're connected either one for both fronts and one for both rears at the very most.

I went ahead and replaced both the turn signal relay and the 4-way flashers relay. If there was a ground issue, wouldn't that affect everything on that side? It appears all 4 light assembly's have their own ground to the chassis. Also I checked the right front light to see the voltage and verify the wire for the second filliment, and it would come up to 12.8 or so.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Since you are not getting power at the socket...... I'd guess that the wire between the socket and the switch has a fault......... my guess as to where that might be, is, the steering column electrical connector, could be as simple as a bent or crudded up pin.

I'd start by running a long temp jumper from the steering column connector to the hot side of the socket, if it still doesn't work it's got to be in the column wiring or the new switch isn't hooked up correctly.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM

If the connection pins of the switch were crudded up, wouldn't that affect the entire left or right side? Because I am getting a signal on the left rear. I will try and run a jumper from a few points tomorrow to try and rule out sections of wires....thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

The drawing I posted is correct for that truck but the wire colors are GM, not Ford.
The drawing for that truck is on www.autozone.com

The front TS wiring is also wired to the dash indicator lights. If the indicators work OK that means the wiring is at fault.

The TS flashers require a load of at least (2) bulbs to operate. For testing remove the flasher and install a jumper in it's place.

The hazard flasher is powered by a fuse that is hot at all times. The TS flasher is powered by a separate fuse that is connected to the ignition ON sw.

Each of the (4) TS bulbs have a dedicated wire from the TS switch.

vicrod
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
The drawing I posted is correct for that truck but the wire colors are GM, not Ford.
The drawing for that truck is on www.autozone.com

The front TS wiring is also wired to the dash indicator lights. If the indicators work OK that means the wiring is at fault.

The TS flashers require a load of at least (2) bulbs to operate. For testing remove the flasher and install a jumper in it's place.

The hazard flasher is powered by a fuse that is hot at all times. The TS flasher is powered by a separate fuse that is connected to the ignition ON sw.

Each of the (4) TS bulbs have a dedicated wire from the TS switch.

vicrod
The dash indicator does not work, I thought the bulb behind was just burned out. Didn't think that would affect my front blinker. It sounds like from what you told me either if the light is out that will affect the turn signal or there is a loose connection or a bad wire back there. Well I guess my next step is to take apart the dash and go from there.
I wil post what I come up with and if that resolves it.

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

What Vicrod was saying was.... that the indicator on the dash gets its power when flashing from the same terminal of the turn switch as the front blinker.
The rear is a seperate terminal on the turn switch as when activated the brake light signal is bypassed to make the bright filament in the rear flash as a turn signal.
The dash indicator not working is a prime indicator that the trouble is the switch or the switch connector.If it was bad wiring under the hood the indicator on the dash would still illuminate
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH
What Vicrod was saying was.... that the indicator on the dash gets its power when flashing from the same terminal of the turn switch as the front blinker.
The rear is a seperate terminal on the turn switch as when activated the brake light signal is bypassed to make the bright filament in the rear flash as a turn signal.
The dash indicator not working is a prime indicator that the trouble is the switch or the switch connector.If it was bad wiring under the hood the indicator on the dash would still illuminate
Oh ok, well I just replaced the switch, thank you for stopping me before I did a lot of unnecessary work!!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Just because you replaced the switch doesn't mean the wires from the switch aren't broken/frayed etc, get a probe light and test the wires at the column connector..... that'll tell you if you are getting power from the switch.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.