Four Wheel Drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 09:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Four Wheel Drive

Hi Folks. I am wondering what would be involved in converting a Chevy S-10 4 wheel drive to a 2 wheel drive? If one has a nice 4x4 but doesn't want it, but would rather have a nice 4x2? I would put in a nice 350/700R2 sbc at the same time. Maybe better just to sell it and get a 4x2 to begin with?? Thanks. Perley

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrodder43
Maybe better just to sell it and get a 4x2 to begin with?? Thanks. Perley

That's what I would do

Steve
Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Automotive LTD Technition

if you have the time, and it's already a Solid Axle front end to begine with, you could go to a salvage and get a front axle (dummy axle) from a 4x2 Cherokee or another S10, if it's IFS you could find an early model S10 pup that had the 2 wheel drive versian of what you have now, and just swap parts, you'd need a transmission rear to remove the transfercase, unless you want the extra torque of 2wheel drive Low gear other than that, it's just time consumeing
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There are a substantial number of differences in the 2 chassis..I think one would be better off to start with a 2wd version if that is what one wants..

Sam
Old 09-06-2006, 05:17 PM

if it's a solid front axle he could find a dummy axle at a salvage yard and rebuild the hubs, spindles or what ever is on it, and sling a bar (dummy axle) under the front end, the two wheel drive versian if i remember correctly had IFS, now if this is an IFS truck you can remove the front differential and just drive on the Hub bearings, and put a 2 wheel drive tranny in the truck, or have the transfercase removed and install a tail shaft, or possably an over drive (if it doesnt already have one) to the back of the tranny to make up the difference in length from the back of the T-case to the front of the drive shaft, you could also just remove the body from your Good 4x4 and place it on a 4x2 chassis if you so wanted to keep that truck and just make it a 4x2, which would probibly be easyer, or like they stated earlyer you could just sell the thing and buy a 4x2 to start with, either way you'd be haveing to work on it (if you rebuilt it) or you'd have to try to find somebody that'd give you what you wanted for it.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

IIRC, all the S-10/S-15 chassis were IFS.

However, the 2wd chassis was set up as a standard RWD, coil spring, etc. chassis, like any RWD GM from the era.

The 4wd chassis needed (at least) different lower control arms because it had front torsion bars instead of coil springs (so the FWD axles could go through the hubs where the spindle shafts would be).

Not insurmountable, and (at least in my area) S-10s are pretty plentiful to scrounge for the parts. For new parts and info, try LMC truck. You could go through their catalog and compare the suspensions to see which parts were common between them.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM

makes sence
Old 09-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

There isn't a lot that is the same. See the scan of my LCM catalog below. If you want 2wd you would have to swap out the entire frame. It would be easier to pull out the cig. lighter, replace everything else, and plug back in your cig. lighter
Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 PM

from what i see the true difference is in the front suspencion and the tie rod conenctions, wouldnt you want these beefyer parts? and couldnt you just swap the 4wheel drive knuckles for a set of 2 wheel drive spindles?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

No. The differences are more then what you point out. There is nothing that the 2 suspensions or front half of the frame have in common. You can't swap on a 2wd knuckle/spindle because the ball joint mounts to the 4wd knuckle from the top side rather then the bottom like the 2wd. If you wanted to I suppose you could just remove the t-case, front axles, diff, etc. and run it as a 2wd...

Edit: you would have to keep the outer half of the front axle shaft in order to keep the bearings together I think. You would have to cut the boot off and pull the CV apart leaving the bell and outer stub shaft. They use a unit bearing in the 4wd's.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 PM

good point, it would be easyer to replace the whole truck, i think i understand what your saying, i was wondering if it was possable to replace the whole front suspencion for the 2 wheel drive A-Arms and all.... yet that would also take LOTS of work and possably some fabrication to make it work, but hea, wasnt that how hotrodding got started in the first place? bunch of guys, stock car, garage, and a mess of tools trying to make the fastest car they can

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.