Fox Air Ride problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 12:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fox Air Ride problem

Hello. Im looking at purchasing a 1987 Lincoln Mark VII. However, the owner says a local shop said there is a problem with the Air-Ride system.

Is this the same deal as with the Thunderbirds? If the Air System completley fails, what happens? I can deal with the 'firm' ride being on all the time, but I can't deal with the car bouncing all over or sagging.

Can anyone clear up this system for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The t-bird system uses shocks with actuators for internal shock valving, the air ride system are air bags to control ride height. Probably could be converted over to conventional suspension if you had a doner car.

Depending on whats wrong it could get expensive pretty quick to repair.

Last edited by chieftain; 04-24-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The ride is pretty darn harsh, particularly if the front system fails. You pretty much have no springs at all. Expensive and difficult to deal with no matter which way you go. MK7's aren't an easy bolt-on swap to change either. I've heard of someone doing it on the front by swapping out the entire engine support/crossmember assembly for one out of a 90's 5.0 Mustang. Then the springs and lower control arms from a Tbird. On the rear it's a bit easier. You pretty much just have to weld spring mounts onto the rearend and install Tbird rear springs. There may well be more to it than I can remember right off.
Fixing the problem is a bummer too. Good used parts are almost non-existent as almost every junkyard MK7 has also experienced the same type failures. And if you do find good used bags or a pump, how long will they last? New parts are scarily high priced.
Kind of a shame. Those 5.0 MK7's have always appealed to me for some reason. The air ride has scared me away from many a good deal on one.
You might have heard of a "simple" Lincoln air ride swap fix. It doesn't apply to the Mark Series cars, just Town Cars and Continentals. Town Cars readily accept (REALLY easy) a pair of Crown Vic/Marquis coil springs in the rear. Maybe 30 minutes work. With a couple of extra drilled holes in front, 80's-90's Continentals will accept a set of four Taurus struts. Say a saturday afternoon, all day maybe if you work slow.

Last edited by GypsyR; 04-25-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.