Hot Rod Forum banner

frame

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  shine 
#1 ·
what kind of frame can I use for a 1959 chevy apache, I do not want to use a camaro suspension..... I just want to do a body swap.

#2 ·
I was in the same predicament this spring with my 57 gmc. I decided after much reading of posts on this and other sites, that there is no easy frame swap. you either do the work on your frame and upgrade front end etc, or you spend at least that much time and money on getting everything to fit right and be safe on a frame swap. I was going to use an s10 frame. you can get the specs from gmupfitter.com if you really want to check it out. I ended up going with the TCI mustang II front end and will be using a rear axle from an s10 4x4. I won't be using huge power so they say the s10 diff will be fine, otherwise there are a lot of guys using an 8.8 ford diff from an explorer, and getting the front wheel bolt pattern to match when they buy the front end kit.that way they get disc brakes on the back as well. the s10 came with discs out back but hey are harder to find and more money.
--checkthe hollister road company for a frame swap from a 73-87 c10
--check custom classic trucks-tech articles- 58 chevy fleetside truck mustang II ifs kit install it is a step by step pictoral
--custom classic trucks also has an article on fatman fabrications ifs front end. I think it is called fixxin a fouled up frame
classic trucks also has a wite up on the tci front end install. it's called do it yourself ifs install and has a step by step pictoral
hope this helps

#4 ·
sanchezd said:
what kind of frame can I use for a 1959 chevy apache, I do not want to use a camaro suspension..... I just want to do a body swap.

A Camaro doesn't have a frame, But the clip can be welded to the front of yours... The only down side is... They are a little wide for your truck...Your best bet is to upgrade your frame... You can buy a mustang II front end for it.... Much easier to do... Some people have used the s10 frames under your truck also.... But I would stick to a mustang II front end for it..

If you are going to clip it.... I would use a nova or Buick regal ,cutlass,or a Chevy Monte Carlo.. The track width will be closer.. ;)

#6 ·
the gm clip is the easiest update. it is not really too wide . a 1 in spacer under the forward body mount solves all the clearance problems.
as for mll i stopped using them years ago. dont trust them or like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.